NT results

iVillage Member
NT results
Thu, 05-03-2007 - 12:14pm

Had my NT scan done on tuesday and they just called with the results.

They told me that my chances went from 1/22 before tests and then went to 1/226.

She then told me that they like to see the results to be 1/230. So my test will still be positive not neg.

I had this test done at Magee Womans Hospital in Pgh PA.

I asked about the nasal bone thing and she said that they don't measure it there because they don't think it is a reliable marker.

They didn't tell me the fluid markers that day. I had to ask today when she called.

She said they were 1.4. and wouldn't tell me my blood work. I guess that doesn't matter.

I felt very rushed and like a number there. I do not recommend being tested there. I wanted to be seen at Allegheny General but things didn't work out.

I asked for the results in %'s cause i like the way they sound.

She told me I went from 95%ok to 99.5% ok.

It is very stressful getting these results over the phone. I wish they would let your own ob dr tell you in person.

Sitting here crying cause I thought the numbers would be better. And of course DH is out of town.

Has anyone recieved these number's.

Oh the tech did tell me when doing the test that the baby looked fine and the nt fluid was really low.

Just wanted to update ya'll.

12 preg w/#7

Another thing we asked her to scan between the legs and there was nothing there. She also said "nothing yet"So that is giving me hope.

I wish someone would come and peel me off the ceiling.

iVillage Member
In reply to: boycrewof6
Tue, 05-08-2007 - 3:17pm

Sorry you had to deal with an insensitive person on getting your results. Anyone who works with preggos or in infertility needs to have a warm personality!

Your numbers are similar to what mine were. I was 40 at the time of our NT scan (1.6) and bloodwork. We came out with 1:235 DS risk, my numbers were skewed by a 0.5 PAPP-A score. The genetic counselor stated that numbers below 1:320 were high risk for my age group. Still good odds so we skipped CVS and did the level II u/s. No soft markers for DS were found and the NT measurement was still good. The peri stated at that time that our DS odds dropped dramatically just by having good u/s results. We opted for no more testing at this point.

If your NT measurement was high, I would worry a little, but remember none of these screening tests are 100% acccurate. Only genetic testing is.

I personally think you will be just fine. Enjoy your pg!

Kellie
EDD 6/26

Lilypie

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-04-2007 - 9:45am

Michele,

I agree with you. The genetic counselor I saw last year explained everything to me and warned me in advance not to be shocked if I got back figures that seemed really low. He explained that they calculate my age into the factor (44 at the time) and that would automatically "mark" me as a high risk case no matter how healthy I was or the baby was. They're counting in all women of that age--which may include women who had horrible prenatal care etc.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-04-2007 - 8:53am

I am 18 weeks, due October 4. Sorry you didn't have a good experience with your testing. They sounded kind of unprofessional. The genetic counselor I saw was so nice, friendly, reassuring and very knowledgeable (she should be, she went to Harvard Medical School!) When she called me with the results of the bloodwork she was nothing but positive. She said to look at it as I have a 97% chance that my baby will be healthy and normal. I hope the next time you have a level II ultrasound you can have it at a better place. Glad to hear your son is fine also after being born with those problems. That must have been scary. I have three other children ages 24, 15 and 12. Never had any problems with their health so I'm hoping this baby will be fine too.

Michele

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-03-2007 - 5:51pm

I think your numbers sound great!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-03-2007 - 4:16pm

Thanks Michele for the reasurrance.

I will be 44 in August and due Nov 12th.

I have some family hx of mental retartation ( first cousin and 1 second cousin)and 1 first cousin who was a DS baby that didn't survive infancy ,that was 50 some years ago.
My last baby was born with a Dermoid cyst on his eye and a rather large hemangioma on his head. Well they gave me the gravest news for his health. He is the healthest 4yr old you ever want to meet. So I think all of those factors added to my test scores at first.

I thought originaly my chances were 1/60. Good thing I didn't know this until yesterday. I would really been nervous.lol

I think it was the way the genetic counsulor told me my results. "We consider you a + but you really want to be a -.
And another thing she kept doing while talking to us was cracking her knuckles. Give me a break.

HOw far along are you Michele?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-03-2007 - 2:14pm

Your results sound good, actually better than mine. I had my testing done at Massachusetts General Hospital. Before my testing I was 1 in 32 and after the ultrasound and bloodwork it went to 1 in 78. I got the results of the NT right that day, it was 1.5. And they checked for the presence of a nasal bone. I didn't get the results of my bloodwork until about a week after my ultrasound. I'm going for my second level II ultrasound on Monday. They will be able to tell a lot more then and I hope it is good news. I'll be able to find out if it's a boy or girl too!
You must be a little older than me if you started out with worse odds (I'm 43). A big jump like that is great! Don't worry.

Michele