Appointment today

iVillage Member
Appointment today
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 4:22pm

I just went to my doctors today. This is actually only my first appointment. They said I am 13 weeks. They were really nice and they didn't stress me out over the age thing. Or they were at least positive.

But I am still going crazy with worry because they only took blood tests, they wont do an ultrasound till my next visit since I can only have one ultra sound durning my pregnancy, that is unless they find something wrong with the first one. I thought going to the doctor would make me feel more at ease but I think it only did the opposite since I don't know anything else. I am so scared that something is going to be wrong, but I got to try and be positive. It is really hard since I still can't talk to my dh. He is still not to keen on the idea of having this baby. Hopefully things will get better with my next visit. I just hate the waiting.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-12-2007 - 9:13pm

I can't believe you are only allowed one ultrasound. I hate insurance companies and their stupid rules. I had to fight with mine because my OB wanted me to have my level II ultrasound at Massachusetts General Hospital where they have a high risk pregnancy clinic but it was not one of my insurance companies "approved" hospitals. I went through a lot of runaround and stress with them but in the end finally got them to approve it. I can only imagine how worried you must be. I still am even after having all my tests done. Hang in there, and like someone else said talk to your OB and see if they can convince the insurance company to allow more than one ultrasound.

Michele

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-12-2007 - 9:17am
That's awesome you got to hear the heartbeat and your appt went pretty well. You really do need to guide these drs in your treatment, though. Be very vocal in your concerns. I think they should be watching you closely due to AMA. That alone does get the approval with the insurance cos. Also, insurance can also be approved for many things they don't have listed in your policy, you just have to question any denials. That is part of the insurance "game". Anyway at my first u/s at 10 weeks they found that I had fibroids, a few of them, and that did affect my pregnancy. There were complications that were most likely caused by those fibroids. So, don't hesitate to ask for what you want especially if it will ease your mind. Take Care, hope you are feeling well.
Kim
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 10:59pm

Jill,

Since your doctor seems nice, could you talk to him or her and let her know you're worried and ask if there's ANY way to work around that one ultrasound per pregnancy thing? Also, could you ask them how much it would cost you if you had to pay for it out of pocket?

I am really appalled at the state of health insurance. I'm really lucky 'cause DH has a really fantastic insurance through his employer. I dropped mine when we got married 'cause his was so much better than mine. It covered just about everything!

Anyhow, hang in there. And please try not to worry too much. I know tons of women who had babies in their 40's and not a one of them had problems!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 4:53pm

Congratulations on hearing the heartbeat!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 4:44pm

Yes they can only do one ultrasound because of my insurance. If the first one shows any problems then they can do another, but only for a medical reason.

Yes the heart beat was fine. It was very easy for the doctor to find the baby's heart. Things actually seemed to go alot smoother then when I have my first dd 5 years ago. I guess I am just disappointed that I couldn't get more answers on how the baby was.

Jill

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 4:33pm

Wow, I can't believe that they will only do one ultrasound during your entire pregnancy.