Iam worry about down syndrome

iVillage Member
Iam worry about down syndrome
Wed, 05-30-2007 - 3:15pm
I, Iam 42 years old and have 5 months pregnant, mi AFP was low, I would like to know if somebody have the same and what happened with the baby, thanks
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-30-2007 - 5:33pm

Hi there.

It's important to remember that the blood screens are just an assessment of risk, not a diagnosis. There are many times the screens turn up a risk factor that doesn't play out in real life. This is the reason I skipped the triple screen and went straight to CVS. I didn't want to worry unnecessarily. (I did have the AFP at 16 wks because CVS doesn't diagnose neural tube defects.)

Did you have the NT and nasal bone screens earlier in your pregnancy? How did they look?

Jodi

44 and pg with #1

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-30-2007 - 6:03pm

I was given a 1 in 16 chance of DS due to my ultrascreen test. All follow up level 2 ultrasounds and echocardiograms have shown a healthy baby. You can opt for the amnio in a few weeks, or the CVS sooner. To me I felt like the baby was healthy and didn't want to do the more invasive testing.

Anyway, I'll know "for sure" in a few weeks - the baby is due 7/1. I'm not much a worrier, so it has been more of a small question for me than a big one. If I were a worrier, I'd have had the amnio...

GL and it is just a screen, not a diagnosis...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-30-2007 - 7:51pm

Just FYI, CVS can only be performed between 10 and 12.9 weeks, so amnio is the option at this point.

Jodi

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-01-2007 - 12:25pm
Hi! During my 2nd pregnancy at the age of 34, the AFP was low and I had an amnio. The results showed absolutely nothing and I now have a beautiful, healthy 11 year old boy. Those initial test results can be nerve racking, but follow up with other tests you are comfortable with to ease your worries. Keep positive and remember your chances of delivering a healthy baby are much greater than not!