Abnormal Quad Screen test results-SCARED

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-07-2007
Abnormal Quad Screen test results-SCARED
11
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 8:21pm
I had the Qaud/Triple Screen Test done Monday and received the results today. The nurse told me that they cancelled my Level II ultrasound which was on Monday and have resceduled me for an Ultrasoud with amnio on Thursday. I am to have a consultation with my doctor on Monday to go over the results! I am sick and beside myself with worry! I do not understand why they would automatically cancell my Level II U/S and scehdule an amnio unless the results were horrific!! The research that I have done suggest that a Level II U/S is typically done onean abnormal Quad/Triple test results come back. The only thing I can see is because of my age but then again isn't it up to me to decide since the risk involved with amnio?? Anyone with similiar experiences??? I cannot wait until Monday for the results and then have to wait until Thursday for the amnio! I feel like I am going to loose my mind!! I am 40 years old and was very excited about this pregnancy with my new husband. It was a surprise. We found out on the 15th of May and were married on the 25th of May. He is 36 and now I feel like he made a mistake marrying me. He would have a better chance of having a younger wife. I know he loves me and I am sure I am not thinking rationally because of the results but now I feel guilt! I did not find out I was pregnant until I was 11 weeks. I had two periods. They only lasted a day(Plus I was on the pill) so I was just thinking I was going trough early menopause or just I was stressed! I was drinking and taking medication for my herniated disc! On top of that I was smoking. Of course I quit after I found out but still does not eliminate my guilt. This is my third pregnancy and I am typically very particular about what goes into my body when I am pregnant. I know I am rambling but of anyone has any stories that might help me that would be appreciated!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-28-2007
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 8:39pm

First of all, I am so sorry about this. Second of all, ask your doctor the same thing you posted here...and if you don't want an amnio, tell them. I was scheduled for a Level II ultrasound as a precaution because of advanced maternal age...no other reason. (I miscarried my baby before we could have one though) So the Level II isn't a bad thing.

As for your husband, I can guarantee you that is the last thing on his mind. Bad things don't happen just to pregnant women who are 40 and older; it happens to plenty of younger women as well. There is no guarantee that a 20 year old woman will have a problem free pregnancy. Unless you are a heroin-shooting smoker who drinks Jack Daniels while you're carrying 200 pounds on your back every day, you did not cause your baby to be sick (if he or she even is!).

The doctor and his staff are working for YOU. Question them and ask why they have decided what they have decided and what all the results mean.

BIG HUGS sweetie!!!!

I'll be wishing good thoughts for you and your little baby...

xxoo
Lois

  

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-12-2007
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 10:46pm


First take a deep breath and let it out. This is not something to freak out over. OK to start out with you need to understand that the quad screen is just that a screen to assess your risk for genetic issues, it is not a test like amino that gives you positive or negative results. The quad screen is skewed against older women and more often then not our results are going to be bad. This is one of the reasons we refused to do the any of the blood work associated with it. The other is that we had a vanishing twin (since you would have had your first US so late it’s always possible that you had one too.) it almost guaranteed that our results would show a very high risk. Also the quad screen is designed to err on the side of caution, which means that it has a very high false positive rate even without any added issues, such as age. I think it’s remiss of your Dr not to have explained this to you.

As for the amino… It’s wrong of your Dr to try and force you to have an amino the way they seem to be doing. It does carry a risk of m/c and it should be your choice as to rather you want to take that risk. Some new research says that the risk is as low as 1/1600 but many Dr’s still use the 1/300 number. Regardless of how high or low the risk is if you are that one it’s going to be devastating. Especially if the amino comes back normal. Before you make that decision you have to decide what you would do with it. If the results show a problem with the baby and you wouldn’t terminate the pg, then it seems like the risk would not be worth it under any circumstances. If you’re torn as to what to do the level II US can often help you to decide (I’m not sure why your Dr would have canceled it.) because if there is a problem there are often “soft markers” found on the US. Keep in mind that even having something show up on an US does not mean that there is anything wrong.

Most Dr’s seem to be very doom and gloom for those of us over 40, so you have to take what they tell you with a grain of salt. As for your case, if it was me I’d already be looking for a new Dr who didn’t try to make decisions for me instead of with me. I pray that everything is fine with your pg and you can relax and enjoy the rest of it. Good luck with whatever you decide. Patti

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-28-2007
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 10:52pm

Excellent advice, Patti. I'd also like to add that two of my sister's friends were told their babies would have Down's. Neither of them terminated the pregnancies and just prepared for the possibility of having Down's babies. Guess what? Neither of them had Down's babies. Both had perfectly normal and absolutely gorgeous babies.

  

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-06-2007
Sun, 06-17-2007 - 10:18am
I know it must be stressful but for your beautiful baby try to relax. Send positive vibes to your baby. Keep in mind that there is a reason you are carrying this baby. If women were not meant to have babies at 40 then menopause would start and end at this age...not in our 50's. Years ago before birth control pills women where having babies up until they went through menopause and no one thought a thing about it, and they didn't have downs babies all over.
If over 40 women produce these high statistics of downs babies....where are they? Wouldn't people see a lot of Down's babies all over.
Please remember that amnio is YOUR choice not your docs, talk to DH about what you two decide together and stick to that plan. Don't be bullied into a choice that you don't want. Best to you and your family.
BBTA (baby blessings to all)
Brenda
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-13-2004
Mon, 06-18-2007 - 2:51pm

Hi there. I'm 44,



Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-22-2007
Tue, 06-19-2007 - 10:57pm

Try not to freak out.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-07-2007
Wed, 06-20-2007 - 1:49am
Thank you all for your wonderful support. I do not have access to online at hone so thus the late reply. On Monday we found out that the results were 1/982 for downs but 1/88 for Trisomy 18. My doctor explained that a amnio would be necessary to determine whether the baby had Trisomy 18 since the baby would not have a chance at life and would need to be terminated. I do not believe in abortion so this is so hard for me. We are going to have the Ultrasound with amnio on Thursday with the doctors advice but my DH and I are looking at this as it is only a 2% chance but 98% chance of positive healthy baby. The doctor said it will be 10 days after before we know the results. The mental angusish has made me a basket case. Thank God for such a wonderful supporting and understanding husband and wonderful people like ya'll. I can only think positively now. This baby happened for a reason - out of love. I will keep everyone updated after Thursday!!
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-22-2007
Wed, 06-20-2007 - 1:59am

You are looking at this correctly.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-13-2004
Wed, 06-20-2007 - 8:33pm

<The doctor said it will be 10 days after before we know the results. >


You could request that your doctor order a FISH study (fluorescence in situ hybridization) after your amnio. It costs a bit more and it doesn't provide complete results, but you'll have preliminary results in a day or two.


We did our CVS on a Friday, and by Saturday afternoon we had our FISH results. It was a lot easier to get through the next week knowing that we could be 95% sure our baby's chromosomes were normal.


Jodi

pregnancy calendar


Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-07-2007
Thu, 06-21-2007 - 12:13am
Thank you for that bit of information. My doctor had mentioned something about a prelim results but that it was not complete. I will have to asked them at the doctor tommorrow.
Thank you so much.

Pages