Had my NT scan

iVillage Member
Had my NT scan
Sat, 06-16-2007 - 8:07am

Hi, I had my bloodtest/ultrasound and am feeling such relief!! My estimate risk for Downs is 1:819 and for Edwards and Pataus is 1:1564. HOORAY!

I asked the person doing the u/s after what she would do with these results (she does zillions of these tests) and she said that knowing who would be doing the amnio she would get one without any worry at all. (He has done so many of these for years and is one of the best in Western Australia).

I am really on the fence--in one way I want to have the amnio because if there are any problems with the heart or anything they can fix some things before I give birth and also when I do give birth they will know what is happening and be prepared if some surgery or if anything

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckethref="http://tickers.families.com/">

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: lindae2004
Sat, 06-16-2007 - 1:05pm

Linda,

First of all, congrats on the fabulous results! whoo hoo! Regarding amnio, I think it's a very personal choice and one you should discuss with your doctor, since your husband said he's Ok with whatever decision you make. Tell your doctor your concerns and ask him/her specifically what can be done if certain things are found to be wrong with your baby during the amnio...and if those procedures would save the baby's life or prevent him/her from having heart problems etc. Your doctor will most likely be able to give you some percentages. Then I would make a decision from there.

I had always thought I would do amnio, but when I actually was pregnant, I had decided against it because we had made the decision to keep the baby regardless of the result. And because of my history of miscarrying, we didn't even want to take the most minimal risk. I think that had my pregnancy progressed any further than it did, I would've read up on the possibilities of having a handicapped child so that I could physically and mentally prepare for the risks.

It sounds like you're kind of leaning towards amnio already and if that will give you peace of mind, I say go for it. My friend (the one who had her baby at almost 44) was so freaked out that her baby would have problems that she had two amnios (the first was done too early so another one had to be done later) to give her peace of mind. And it did. And her baby was born perfect.

I don't think there's a right or wrong decision here. Just that if you do get amnio, make sure your doctor has plenty of experience doing them. And it sounds like the one you have in mind does!

Yay!

Lois

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-16-2007 - 6:20pm

I would have loved to have your odds. Mine were 1/20 first then after the nt it went to 1/226. Those numbers meant I had a .5% chance of something being wrong and a 99.5% Of having a healthy baby.Did they tell you in percentages what your odds are.JUst had my level II done and everything looked great. I can live with those results. The dr. told me that his heart and spine look great and that would be 95% to the good. That she couldn't confirm the last 5% unless I have the amnio.

That was and is my choice. Me being 43yrs old and getting pregnant in the first place is a miracle to me, I don't want to mess with that.You have to search and pray for what you can live with.

Wishing you all the luck in what you decide to do.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-17-2007 - 7:54am

Hi Lois, Thanks so much for your insight. Life is so funny....I had done all the research about an amnio and had decided that I would have one b/c I was told by so many people, including my OB that I would probably be high risk. So, I felt quite peaceful about the decision. Then...I get this great news and it threw me!!! I am now leaning towards NOT having the amnio but I still have the appointment so once I have a chat with my OB who I really trust I will decide for sure. The good news is that my hubby is supporting me either way so it really is up to me.

Thanks again Lois:).

-Linda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckethref="http://tickers.families.com/">

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-17-2007 - 7:57am

Thanks for your reply. At this point I am probably not going to have the amnio but will talk to my OB who I completely trust and then decide for sure. And you are right...it is a miracle to be pregnant and I really do embrace that. I will keep you posted..xx

-Linda

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-17-2007 - 9:46am

Hi Linda

It all depends on what you would do with the results. I decided not to have an amnio even though after my level II ultrasound and bloodwork gave me a 1 in 40 risk for Downs. That's because they found a calcium deposit on my baby's heart, which is a soft marker for Downs. But my OB wasn't too concerned about that. Other than that the baby appears to be perfectly healthy. DH and I just have a feeling that our baby will be alright. I knew I would not terminate if something was wrong. If I did have the amnio and found something wrong I would be freaking out for the rest of my pregnancy. I'm the type of person who would rather not know. Your results sound great so I wouldn't worry about it. Best of luck!

Michele
EDD 10/04

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-19-2007 - 11:08pm

Hi Linda,

Great test results!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-20-2007 - 7:58am

Congrats on the numbers!!!!

Your odds seem pretty darn good to me. If it were me, I wouldn't go ahead with the amnio, but I have a problem with anyone sticking a needle in my belly, to alien-ish for me LOL, you know like you read about when people talk about being abducted. LOL

Anyway back to reality. With the odds they gave you, I believe that your baby is going to be healthy wealthy and wise!!!

Good luck on what ever you decide

Dyan

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-21-2007 - 12:51am

Hi Carol,

I really appreciate your honesty--thats what I come here for (even though I would rather only hear things white and fluffy...lol). I like knowing all the facts and possiblitlies and then make a decision.

I am still leaning towards NOT having the amnio (although my DH would love me to have it). I am going to give it a few more days and decide (my appt if for July 2nd so I still have a bit of time and they told me I could cancel right before). sign I still have no regrets about having kids so late in life but it sure isn't easy!!! Thanks again.

-Linda

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-21-2007 - 1:34am

Hi Linda,

Thanks for being so kind about my post.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-21-2007 - 8:10am

Hi Carol,

I really don't think your post was too blunt or horrible in any way. It didn't sound like Linda thought it was too bad either? I think that is what we are here for to

Photobucket

Pages