Update--had my NT scan

iVillage Member
Update--had my NT scan
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 12:35am

Hi Ladies,

Thanks again to so many of you that have helped me with this decision. I have decided not to have the amino. With a 1:250 chance of miscarriage it is just too risky. It really came down to the question..."what would be more devastating, a miscarriage or having a child with downs" and the answer is the miscarriage. My results were really good and at some point you just have to have faith and I have plenty of that. I have my Level II ultrasound at the end of July so I am just going to hang tight until then. My instincts tell me all is well with this little bean so I don't feel stressed at all:). Thanks again....xx

-Linda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckethref="http://tickers.families.com/">

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 10:33am

Dearest Linda,

I am happy that you found peace with your decision, I too have made that same decision and I haven't really had any tests done, not even a drop of blood, well except from the pap, I am 11 weeks and have a doctors appointment on Friday, but haven't had any blood work only had one u/s to determine due date, Jan 10, (rats I really wanted that 2007 tax deduction LOL). I know some people want the peace of mind that the baby is defect free, but like you losing the baby would bother me more. I had one miscarriage a long time ago, and I may sound horrible but it didn't really bother me that much, but this time, being so old and really wanting this child so bad I can taste it (taste like chicken btw) I think it would crush me to lose the baby right now. Anyway I will find out more about my pregnancy this Friday.

Good luck I wish you the best

Hugs Dyan

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 11:07am

Linda,

You made the same decision I would've.

I think every woman is different and should do what is best for her. But if I ever got pregnant again and I miscarried after deciding to do an amnio, I would never forgive myself (though if I did miscarry after an amnio, it probably wouldn't have been the amnio that caused it, but rather the way my body dealt with the pregnancy--I seem to be prone to miscarrying. But it wouldn't matter--I still would've blamed myself).

On the other hand, a friend of mine had 2 amnios (the first was too soon--she pushed her doctors to do it too early) and had no problems.

We all have to do what's best for us.

And Dyan, it doesn't make you sound terrible at all. I think you have a very good coping mechanism and we deal with things differently at different points in our lives. So good for you for not letting your loss consume you.

Lois

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 11:22am

I had my NT test last week as well. The doc said that everything looked fine and that I should be relieved FOR NOW, but I need to find out the blood work results this week. Im getting another ulstrasound in the middle of July-Im currently 13 weeks pregnant and I will be 43 this weekend. I have also been thinking long and hard about an amnio-it scares me and the timing seems so LATE in the pregnancy. The doctors have all been really nice and have explained things really well, but that doesnt make this a piece of cake. To top things off, Im still feeling nauseous-I have some good days and some bad days-but isnt this supposed to end soon? This is my 4th pregnancy, and with my first the morning sickness lasted the entire pregnancy! YIKES! Im hopeful this one will be better tho!

Natalie

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 11:25am

You know, I know the morning sickness can be a bear to deal with...but everyone says that's the sign of a healthy baby. :-)

I hope it gets better for you!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 4:11pm

Thanks for your message! Ive heard the same thing before-I hope its true! My fiance was in awe of the baby's heartbeat--he said, "With a heartbeat that strong, Im sure this baby is gonna be fine!"....so cute

natalie

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-26-2007 - 11:03pm

Thanks Dyan. I appreciate your kind words. I think that you are right..many of us do want 100% proof that all is well with the baby, but in reality even with an amino it is not possible--not matter what age we are. In pregnancy and bith there are some risks. But the joy that comes with it all make it all worthwhile tenfold--thats what I am focusing on.

Thanks again:).

-Linda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckethref="http://tickers.families.com/">

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-26-2007 - 11:06pm

Hi Lois,

Thats it isnt it--what can I live with and what can I not live with. I love and want this little baby no matter what.... Thanks for your support-it really means alot to me. xx

-Linda