Everythng is GREAT!!

iVillage Member
Everythng is GREAT!!
Sat, 07-07-2007 - 2:19am
I am sorry for the delay in writing with the results. After the quad screen came back "abnormal" we had the consultation on monday only for him to tell us that the risk for Downs was 1/982 (women in her 30's) but the odds for Trisomy 18 was 1/88. He had already rescheduled my Ultrasound (level 2) with and amnio to follow. Needless to say I was beside myself. I just kept hearing "no quality of life" and "need to terminate" if our child had trisomy 18. We went on that thursday and had the ultrasound first. After the ultrasound the doctor that was to performthe amnio came in and said that he saw no indication of trisomy 18 and that my chances of having a miscarraige after an amnio was higher than having a child with trisomy 18 but he would understand if we wanted the amnio still since the "waters were muddied" My husband and I talked it over and decided that since we have been scared to death that the only releif to our already scared emotion would to have the amnio and be 00% sure. He said thqat he could not evenenjoy the ultrasound because he was scared that something was wrong. We had the amnio and I had no problems other than some cramping which they say is normal. We found out on Monday the results. We have a wonderful baby girl with no downs or trisomy 18!!! I have to say I hate the quad screen blood test and would not recommend it to anyone. I think if I was concerned that I would just have the CVS if early enough or the amnio. The blood test me a wreak for a few weeks!! Thank you for all of you that gave me such wonderful advice and encouragement!! Now I can have the rest of my pregnancy with peace!!
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-08-2007 - 2:09am

Congratulations!

stellasiggy.jpg picture by estellaberg

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-09-2007 - 6:21am

Hi: So happy that everything worked out for you!!!

Can you tell me what the CVS is and when they do it? So, from your experience there isn't a point on doing any testing earlier than that? I'm super worried about birth defects because my sister had a baby with a severe birth defect. At the time(35 years ago) they didn't do any testing. When I told my CNM about it she wasn't familiar with that particular defect and I forgot to ask her if it would have been picked up by testing. What can they detect and what can't they detect??

Thank you, Julie

TTC #1 CD12

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-10-2007 - 5:03pm
I do not have the information on CVS in front of me now but from what I do know it gives you the same results as the amnio but it can be done at 10 weeks. I wish you the best of luck.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-10-2007 - 5:11pm
I have to agree with you. I will do the CVS if there is a "next one". This is my DH first child but my third. I would love to have another but the age does make me worried. I am 40 and he is 36. I have yet to feel the baby move. I am at 19 weeks now. I felt it much earlier with my second one. I am heavier now then my last two. I weigh now at 19 weeks what I weighed when I delivered my las two. I am at 156 lbs. I had a herniated disc that caused me not to be able to exericse much less walk for a year. Funny - Since the pregnancy - the last month I have not felt any pain. It was my sciatica before and the only thing I can think of is that the baby must have jarred something to make it not pinch that nerve. I am not complaining. Anyways - I assume the extra fat is what is keping me from feeling the baby move. I wish I could - It depresses me that I cannot. I find that to be the most wonderful feeling in the world. Anyways - thank you for all you support!!