OB has put me on modified bedrest

iVillage Member
OB has put me on modified bedrest
Wed, 08-01-2007 - 8:47pm

My blood pressure has finally gone up and stayed there. Its not horrendous, but its beginning to take its toll on me. I agreed today after going in for a blood pressure check that its time to stop work beginning next week and try to rest at home. I will be 33 weeks then, and had only planned to work until 34 weeks anyway.

My 16 year old is having minor surgery on her foot tomorrow and I will be there for her and then stay home with her while she recovers so it won't be completely stress free.

Carole

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 2:29pm

Good! put your feet up, lounge around... relax.. stay in your pjs... watch tv... of course your daughter will need you.. but heck she can lounge next to you..... get a mini fridge and put it right next to you.. stock it with goodies.. then you wont have to get up much only to pee 1000 times per day... LOL

if you feel like sleeping do just that... you dont have long to go.

I cant wait.. im going part time on the 16th of aug... will work 9-2 I cant wait.. these long work hours and just killing me. I look tired I feel tired.. and by 2 pm.. I dont feel like doing anything at the office.. I will be 30 weeks when I quit work for good to be a stay at home mommy.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 4:24pm

I have chronic hypertension and had difficulty getting it down last pregnancy.

stellasiggy.jpg picture by estellaberg

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 6:05pm

I have chronic hypertension, too. Its running 150/100 when I'm in the office. I know its not horribly high, but with a combination of procardia and aldomet, I have kept it down to 120/70 to 130/80 range until recently. My OB had expected this at the end of the pregnancy.

The reason she is recommending modified bedrest is that I am feeling really bad and we think its from the HBP. The thinking is if I slow down, my blood pressure will go down. She plans to induce me at 38 weeks if all goes well. From here on, I will have twice weekly NSTS to see how the baby is doing and constant watch on my blood pressure. If it goes up too high, they will have to induce earlier. Every week I can go now, is time I can keep the baby out of the NICU. Knowing I have made it to 32 weeks is a huge relief, because the risks of long term complications to her is minimal now. It would still be much better to get another 4 to 6 wks.

Carole

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 9:13pm

Thanks for the additional info, Carol.

stellasiggy.jpg picture by estellaberg

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 9:51am

Forget bedrest! I wish I could be put into a coma until she's born!

I could not tolerate Labatol. I had the same reactions as you did, plus a strange tingling sensation all over. Procardia and Aldomet are two other choices. There may be others, but I know there are not many.

Unfortunately, some of the side effects of all of them include frequent urination and increased fatigue. As if we needed to pee more and be more tired!

Carole

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2007 - 3:35pm
Dear Carole,
I know all of this is easier said than done! Bedrest sounds great until you have to be on it! It sounds like you have your head on straight and know just what you have to do. All I will say is...HANG IN THERE!! You are in the home stretch!
Take care and keep us posted.
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket