what tests are you taking or rejecting?

iVillage Member
what tests are you taking or rejecting?
Fri, 08-24-2007 - 5:49pm

I'm a worry wart and planner and trying to decide what tests I should take or not take.

Had an utrasound yesterday and I am 7 weeks and there was a heartbeat!! YAY!!!! When I asked if this lowered the chance of a miscarriage he said he hadn't heard that but had heard that a large yolk sac could indicate a miscarriage but that mine was normal. YAY!!!

Now I want to decide what tests to take or reject. I really don't like the miscarriage risks associated with an amnio. What about the CVS--I see a lot of you have taken it. PP says the risk is very low, but then says its the same as amnio, just can be done earlier. What exactly does it show? PP says you can do it at 10-12 weeks, but my first midwife appt. isn't until 11 weeks.

Also, what about Alpha-Fetoprotein? It's done later and has less risk but doesn't it potentially give false positives?

Thanks!!!

Somegraphx

Sean 2/8/98
Erin 1/26/00
EDD for #3 4/9/08

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2007 - 9:52am

Hi-

From what I've read, the CVS will show any genetic issues (like Down's Syndrome) but not any neural tube defects, line Spina Bifida. The amnio will show both. The CVS can be done 10-12 weeks, the amnio later. I'm opting for the CVS. Miscarriage rates are about 1% for both, but the CVS is harder to pinpoint exactly because more 'natural' miscarriages occur between 10-12 weeks w/ or w/out the test.

Hope this helps a little!

Amanda

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2007 - 1:36pm

HI, the only tests I have agreed to take are, blood tests and ultrasounds.

even if my baby has a defect I wont terminate. Today I had blood drawn and did that one hour glucose testing.

now all I have left is ultra sounds and delivery in about 19 more weeks.

Dyan

pregnancy

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2007 - 3:46pm

I did the first trimester screen at 11w4d (its called a lot of different things - NT scan, early screen etc.) where you have an ultrasound done to measure the nuchal transulcency (NT) which is a measure of fluid accumulation at the back of the baby's neck and some bloodwork. The results are combined and you are given a more accurate risk assessment of Downs syndome and Trisomy 18. An increased NT measurement is also associated with possible heart defects. This screening test does NOT have any risks for your baby AND you get some great ultrasound pictures of your baby.

I was going to have the CVS test done but my screening results came back with a low enough risk for the two most common chromosomal defects (1:720 for Downs & 1:10,000 risk for T18) that I decided to skip the CVS test. I'll still have amnio which is done later since it also tests for neural tube defects (such as spina bifida) as well as the less common chromosomal defects.

The CVS test has to be done by 12w6d so if you want to use the NT/1st trimester screen to help you decide whether or not you want to go ahead with the CVS test you need to be sure to have the screen done early enough so that you can get the results back in time to still have the option of a CVS test.

- Sandy (40) EDD 3/8/08 with #1.

- Sandy (44) DS (natural) born just before my 41st birthday. TTC#2. Only issue: egg/embryo quality due to age. Clomid & multiple IUIs w/follistim &menopur = BFN. IVF#1 (Nov 2011) = 12 eggs, 9 mature & fertilized. Transferred 3 embryos (1-3BB, 2-3
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2007 - 8:43pm

Hi,

I just made a post with lots of good info about the testing available: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppafterforty&msg=9366.1&ctx=0

In general, amnio is safer than CVS.

stellasiggy.jpg picture by estellaberg