Sequential Screen and more testings...

iVillage Member
Sequential Screen and more testings...
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 9:42am

I will be 41 when I deliver #3 and I just got the results for the first part of my sequential screen.

The u/s showed a normal measurement but my blood work came back as 1:52 for Downs. For my range, the average is 1:40. The tech said that I am "technically" normal because their cut off is 1:50. She did say my numbers could increase after my next blood test but that "normal" for it is 1:270 and she doubts it would jump that high.

She gave me the option of waiting, seeing a genetic consultant or going straight to amnio.

So after a night of not sleeping, researching Downs on the Internet and a lot of prayer--I'm looking for a little reassurance about my decision.

I'm not worried about have a baby with Downs. I believe that every baby is a gift and that a baby with Downs is just a blessing we've yet to realize. Right now, I'm dealing with a son with Asperger's and a DD (7) where the "D" does NOT standing for "dear or darling" right now. Let me just say I cannot IMAGINE she can be MORE difficult when she becomes a teenager. LOL

What I AM worried about is that babies with Downs have a 30-50% of heart defects.

I think I would like to meet with the genetic counselor to see if we can SKIP the amnio and just evaluate the baby for a heart defect (which could affect where I give birth and the actual birth itself) or do you think they will force me to have an amnio before proceeding with a heart eval? DH says he doesn't care either way, he just doesn't want me to worry and that I should pick the test that will give me the most relief. And he kinda doesn't want to have to watch me get an amnio.

I'm not even quite sure what I'm asking here, maybe I'm just looking for some reassurance. I feel that if we "know" for certain that the baby has Downs, I will need to spend the rest of my pregnancy explaining it to family and friends instead of just enjoying what I know will be my last pregnancy. If we don't know, we can just--like any parent really--make highly detailed plans, realize that God is laughing at our plans, and then make things up on the fly like everyone else.

I realize that the sequential screen is JUST a screen and in the grand scheme, doesn't really mean anything, but an amnio is kinda scary. Right now, theoretically, me and 51 other women in my condition are hoping WE aren't the 1 in 52. But if I have an amnio, I will have to worry that I'm not the 1 in 200 that miscarries. I really don't like either of those odds.

Thanks.

Somegraphx

Sean 2/8/98

Erin 1/26/00

EDD for #3 4/9/08

baby

Somegraphx

Sean 2/8/98
Erin 1/26/00
EDD for #3 4/9/08

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 8:28pm

Very tough to decide, I know. I'm still weighing out all my options. I've scheduled a NT scan/bloodwork appt for the 24th, and I still don't know if I want to do it. It's a screening with a lot of false positives. I know if the u/s looks good, then the numbers from the test mean less, but still, I think it will make me worry more. I had an amnio with my last pg at 40 and everything went fine, baby was o.k. genetically. I thought the procedure itself was horrible! My daughter is no longer with us now because I had a problem with my placenta right near birth. She was born with a lot of problems, but everyone loved her just the same. I wish

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 9:15pm

Howdy,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I fall into the category of a 40 year old having a high screen (1 in 16), opted not to have an amnio because of excatly the reasons your mention, and was indeed carrying the most wonderful little person (she's 15 weeks old tonight) with Down syndrome you can possibly imagine.

You have every right to opt out of the amnio - it isn't a manditory test. I too was worried about heart issues, so I had a level two ultrasound and a prenatal echocardiogram.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 9:51pm
I read your story/essay and it was wonderful! It was actually one of the things I found on the Internet that helped calm a lot of my fears. I also found "Welcome to Holland" that was wonderfully funny (http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html) and a great relief.

With my son having Asperger's, believe me--we've been to Mars and Pluto (before its demotion) so Holland would be nice!

And most things point out that babies with Downs are more like other babies than most people realize. One of my fears is that my sister is learning disable and is still at home (at 30+) with my father and step mom. I worry about leaving a dependant child to my children would be a burden but I'm starting to see that people with Downs are able to make great contributions. I think that my sister's problems don't stem so much from her learning abilities as much as my father and step mom NOT teaching her to be more independent.

Thanks for all your support!

Somegraphx

Sean 2/8/98

Erin 1/26/00

EDD for #3 4/9/08

baby

Somegraphx

Sean 2/8/98
Erin 1/26/00
EDD for #3 4/9/08