Had US today...strong heartbeat...have ?

iVillage Member
Had US today...strong heartbeat...have ?
Thu, 01-10-2008 - 10:49pm

Hello! We had our ultrasound today to date the pregnancy...our little piece of fluff (that's what our wee one looked like on US) will be 7 weeks old on Sunday...so he/she is a wee bit younger than we thought. The doc said the heartbeat is nice and strong (I think 160?)

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-11-2008 - 9:10am

Hi Maura

Congratulations!

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-11-2008 - 4:49pm

Hi Maura,

I replied to your earlier post without realizing you have already been for your u/s. Oops! Anyhow, glad to hear you saw the hb. As for the nuchal and possible complications with too many u/s, we literally had an u/s every week until 14 weeks with my DD, and she is just fine. That being said, I have heard that there may be some issues with excessive u/s later in pg, but I really think that "excessive" is key here. I'm not sure if you know this, but some people actually rent (or buy, depending on their financial status) u/s machines for personal use during pg. Also, there are these u/s clinics popping up in malls all over the US, where for some nominal fee, you can get an u/s. I don't think that an occasional u/s is going to cause any undue harm to your embryo/fetus, and may give you a lot of peace of mind.

Audrey

PS -- You are right that the m/c rate does go down once the hb is detected, but you still have to hold your breath until 13w, which is the official end of the 1st trimester. As for the nuchal itself, I highly recommend it, as it is 80% accurate at detecting chromosomal abnormalities and neural tube defects while being 100% non-invasive.