32 week checkup -Woman up or chicken out

iVillage Member
32 week checkup -Woman up or chicken out
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 12:18pm

I went to my 32 week appointment and all was good. My Doctor said I now need to come in every 2 weeks and at the next appointment we can schedule inducing labor. She says the baby measures at 34 weeks and asked if I have had big babies. My first was almost 9 pounds. the other 2 about 7. Two vaginal births and a c-sec on the second, a 7 pounder. I think it was because I had medicaid back then and the doctor wanted more money. Anyway I don't want to induce labor and I don't want a c-sec. I just want to have it when it comes .

I can be a wuss sometimes so I need a little courage to tell the doc what I really want to do. Other wise Ill be passive aggressive and she want see me in 2 weeks but in 4 weeks when I change my appointments.

I can understand inducing if you are late. But I have had my other kids like clock work. All delivered about a day before due date. My doctor also delivered my last kid and we had it when it came no c-sect and no inducing.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 2:02pm

OK here goes.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2008 - 9:24am

Ditto.

I completely agree that it is ultimately your decision but your doc should be a part of decision making process providing accurate and reliable information from which you should base your decision but again, it is YOUR decision.

If it's a big baby that the doctor is possibly trying to avoid (understandably so), sometimes an induction is justified. The problem though is that menstrual cycles/ovulation/etc. are not an exact science and there is a risk of baby maybe not being quite as far along as everyone thinks (even a few days before full-term of 37 weeks can make a significant difference.

Even the most advanced of u/s cannot definitively tell baby's size (they'll give an approximation and then say give or take a pound) so maybe he's being conservative and wants to induce a little early.

If he holds his ground and seems to have a legitimate reason for the induction, just make sure that it is scheduled for 38-39 weeks. Inductions in itself are not uncommon. You just want to make sure that baby is in fact full term.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 5:00pm

Has she said why she wants to induce early? My doctor wanted to induce when I was a week late and I chickened out, he was born 1 week later (naturally, on the day schedued for my second induction). But she had assumed I would want to "pick a date" for induction. Apparently, it is all the "rage" now with mothers, to schedule out every aspect of the birth, including choosing the date the child is born.

Some of the drugs used for induction can be bad news if you've had a c-section in the past, much higher risk of (brace for tmi!) uterine rupture. Maybe research that out and it will really encourage you to ask the big why question at the next appointment...then she could explain why she thinks it is a given. Maybe she's just used to women wanting it...

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2008 - 5:40pm
Hi taweret
Tomorrow is my appointment and I'm going to tell her I don't want to induce or have a c-sec. She hasn't given me an explanation of why I need to induce. She only says the baby is so big, have you had big kids before? Inducing would be convenient because I have a son graduating from high school 2 weeks after my due date and this would give me more time to get ready for that but I want to let nature take its course. If the baby was late I might consider but he will come when its time.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2008 - 9:07pm

Sounds good, I mean, if nature isn't taking care of business, I'm all for helping, but otherwise...I'm hoping to avoid an induction myself this time around because I have a single umbilical artery and often growth slows in the last month so they have to make it early. After reading up on the potential problems, I'm scared to death!

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 7:47am

Stop reading!! I once absolutely CONVINCED myself that I had every symptom of rabies after reading what they are! The information out there is terrifying (and not always accurate). Add to that an overactive imagination or a neurotic tendency (the case with me), and you will only succeed in stressing yourself unnecessarily.

Stick to this, and other, boards. Ask advice from real-life people(but still be selective who you ask) and you'll find much more positive information.