PreNatal Testing

iVillage Member
PreNatal Testing
Tue, 05-20-2008 - 11:46am

Am I in the minority that I will be doing PreNatal testing (Amnio or CVS)?

Dina

Mommy to Danny (12/21/04) and Hayley (12/02/08)!!! 

iVillage Member
In reply to: dsak
Tue, 05-20-2008 - 5:23pm

I went "cold turkey" on my first pregnancy, and everything went fine; My OB at the time was very pro-life and carefully skirted the issue of defects and such. My OB this time was a lot more blunt and direct, and really made me think harder about the issue. I think I will try to do non-invasive testing (quad + NT test) at 11 weeks, follow with an amnio if there is any problems detected. I really don't know what I will do with a positive, I guess it depends on WHAT kind of positive, and I think I would only terminate in the case of a lethal defect (one that the child would not survive). Otherwise, well, I would just be better prepared, hopefully better informed. For instance, I work full time and really outrageous hours, but if I had a child with developmental problems, I may want to start looking for another job that would allow me to be at home a lot more.
Though most days I wish I could just go along with the good feeling I have and forget all about testing! :)

Carmen in AZ

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2008 - 11:13am
For my first at 37, I did the 1st trimester screening at 11 wks. Depending on the results, I still would have had time to do a CVS. The results were very encouraging and I skipped further testing, just doing the AFP to look for neural tube defects. I was planning on doing the same thing this time, but my OB encouraged going straight for the CVS. The risk at 42yrs is 1/30 for a chromosome abnormality at mid-pregnancy, dropping to 1/50 at term due to the natural loss of pregnancies with chromosome abnormalities. My OB recommended the head of the OB/GYN department to perform the test. It is important to go to someone very experienced and to a center that has done a lot. This experience lowers the risk. I was given a 1/1000 risk of m/c with the procedure. Much lower than the often quoted 1/100- 1/200. I had it done 2 weeks ago today. The worst part is waiting for the results. If they have a large enough sample they can run a FISH test and you will have prelimanary results within 24-48 hrs. They were unable to do that for me(I was more than a little annoyed at that after asking 3x's for one. Don't you think someone who does 5-7 of these a day would know how much you would need. I was wondering if it was a money thing since the FISH is expensive to run. Sorry for my little angry outburst.) The happy news is that I found out Monday(11 days later) that I'm having a healthy baby GIRL!!! I am going shopping very soon!!!
Good luck with your decisions.
Karen
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-25-2008 - 11:49pm
I had my dd at 39 and, after getting good NT scan results, chose to forgo any invasive testing.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 11:00am
The earliest they can schedule the 1st Trimester Screening is 11wks. When my OB actually recommended a certain Dr, I had to wait until 12wks to be able to schedule the CVS with him. So maybe you could keep your scheduled test date, just have the screening done the week before so you will have the results before making the decision to continue with the CVS. I was unable to that at my hospital. I had my CVS done at 12wks 3days. The worst part about waiting is that you are actually starting to show. Then you have to wait again for 10-14days for the results, which put me in my 2nd trimester. And DH took it upon himself to tell most of our friends after the test, but before we had the results. If you have any specific CVS ?'s feel free to ask. Its so hard to find information.
Karen
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 4:46pm

Kasey, I'm a first time Mom-to-be at 41 (almost 12 wks)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 4:52pm

D- I'm not sure if you are in the minority asking for testing, probably just one of the few who admit it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 9:23pm

I am having my NT US and blood testing next week. If the odds of genetic defect are really low, I will not go forth with invasive testing (if your chance for genetic defect is 1:2000 and your risk of losing the pregnancy with a CVS is 1:500, it seems silly, your odds of losing a normal pregnancy are higher than the odds of finding a defect), but if the odds are up there, I will probably end up with an amnio. I don't think either procedure is overly painful when done by an experienced person, I think it is more psychologically troublesome than anything. Then again, think of why you want to know and what you are going to do about it. Anyway, that is what I am planning for myself, but everybody is different

Carmen in AZ

pregnancy calendar
pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2008 - 8:00am
The CVS was uncomfortable, but not painful. Mine was done through my abdomen, due to where my placenta was located. The dr. numbed my skin with lidocaine, so I did not feel the insertion of the catheter. He did say they cannot numb my uterus and that it would feel like I banged my elbow on the table. I did feel uncomfortable, but nothing terrible. You can watch the procedure on US if you want. I did not, but my husband did. The whole procedure took about 45min., including the US before and after. I felt fine immediately after the procedure, but did have some cramping in the evening. The next day I was fine. I would recommend allowing yourself 24 hrs to recover to be safe. I did not have any spotting afterwards, it is more common with a trans-cervical CVS. The risk of miscarriage I was quoted is 1:1000, by my Dr. This is much lower than all the info I've found on the internet. The decision to do invasive testing is a difficult one. I know that with my first I had great 1st Trimester Screening results, did not do any further testing and still worried the entire time. But I did not want to risk losing my baby. I am a NICU RN, I see the worst case scenarios with the worst outcomes. So of course my worries were not your run of the mill, easily treated problems. This time around I made a different decision, if I did not have my DS I may not have had the CVS. I'm not sure. I did feel some pressure to test from my OB, which surprised me. He is usually more conservative, thinks you should wait until delivery to find out what you're having.
Post CVS I've debated about telling people. But my desire to share my PINK news overcomes that. Just yesterday I was talking to a young SAHM who was surprised to hear that I already knew what I was having at 16weeks. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her I did genetic testing because I am over 40. Oh well.
Good luck with your decision, ultimately only you know what is right in your situation.
Karen
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2008 - 3:08pm

I had absolutely no problems with my amnio with DS.

Dina

Mommy to Danny (12/21/04) and Hayley (12/02/08)!!! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2008 - 5:59pm

Hi Dina!