2nd Tri Genetic Counseling Qs

iVillage Member
2nd Tri Genetic Counseling Qs
Thu, 10-02-2008 - 9:20pm

Hi,

I will be going for 2nd trimester GC soon, I expect to be scheduled for this within the next 2-3 weeks- I am 14.4 weeks along. I am a little confused by everything that will go on at this appt (I did not do the 1st tri GC), my dr gave me a basic explanation but to be honest I doubt HE has every gone through the process. I understand they will calc my risks for certain birth defects based on my age, then by test results of whatever tests I agree to take ad compare the two. I am very nervous and will more than likely be going through this process alone....I am going in with the intention of having the ultrasound done, I am not sure how much pressure will be put on me to have all the tests (although I know I have the option to refuse). I am hoping to avoid an amnio - I will only reconsider if something dire is found on the ultrasound.

I would appreciate anyone who would like to share thier experience - good, bad or otherwise. What 3 tests do they rountinely do - I understand

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-04-2008 - 7:59am

The last time I was pregnant was in 2002, so some of the tests they have now are different, earlier and less invasive.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-04-2008 - 3:05pm

My feelings are the same...I won't terminate the pregnancy and feel the info will only make me worry. Wish I could avoid the numbers game at the GC and just have the US

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2008 - 2:55pm
Well, you are the patient.