How much folic acid is enough?

iVillage Member
How much folic acid is enough?
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 9:39pm

Does anyone know if we (in the over 40 club) need more folic acid than is in our prenatal vitamin?

Get your free online <a href="pregnancy'>http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/landing.aspx">pregnancy calendar</a> from <a href="
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 11:47pm

Over 40 pregnancies are no different that pre-40 pregnancies.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 12:50am
Actually, you should be taking 5mg of folic acid. That is fairly recent that they have been recommending that, it was still only 1mg with my 2 yr old. That is only for the first three months though, and then you can decrease back down to the standard 1mg. Any folic acid is better than none, but they have found that birth defects including spina bifida are reduced when higher amounts of folic acid are used. If you are unsure about it all, talk to your doctor. I had two different doctors in two different cities tell me the same thing about 5mg. I wish I had listened to the first one, and I can't help wondering if that affected my losing the baby. Of course I will never know the answer to that, but I will certainly make sure I stay on top of it if I am ever pregnant again.

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-24-2009 - 9:36pm
My RE says 2 mg on top of your prenatal vitamin. Any extra will be excreted when you go to the bathroom.
He has an unusually low miscarriage rate, so I am listening. :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 9:49pm

Hi Virginia! I've been researching everything like crazy since I found out I'm pregnant. Folate or Folic Acid is in my research. I think Folate is the best because it naturally occurs in food. Eat lots of Folate rich foods. Folic Acid is an "added" substance. Hope this helps.

Folic Acid

"One study presented to the court showed that pregnant women who were given 800 mcg. of folic acid in multivitamin supplements experienced a 100% reduction in neural tube defects, compared with a 40% to 80% reduction resulting from a 400 mcg. dosage. According to a recent survey, only 30% of women of childbearing age know that folic acid reduces birth defects.

The March of Dimes, which pretends to be experts in preventing birth defects, still recommends 400 mcg.

While all neonatal multi-vitamins contain folic acid, a pregnant woman should get half or more of her folic acid from natural sources. Natural sources include: eggs, mushrooms, oranges, orange juice, other citrus fruits and juices, leafy green vegetables, beans, peanuts, legumes, broccoli, asparagus, peas, split peas, lentils, barley, bran, brown rice, cheese, chicken, dates, lamb, liver, milk, root vegetables, salmon, tuna, wheat germ, wheat and whole-grain products.

Please get 800 mcg. of FOLATE AND/OR FOLIC ACID daily.