Doctors appointments oh my!

iVillage Member
Doctors appointments oh my!
Tue, 04-14-2009 - 1:16pm

So at my first trimester screening my PAPP-A came back low. Based upon that they gave me a 1:20 chance of having a ds baby. After my u/s, results came back normal. However, I guess based on low PAPP-A they still feel I could have problems with my placenta later in the pregnancy.

I went for my 20 week ultrasound last week, and everything again looked great, but today at my regular doctor appt, I was informed that from here on out I will "need" and u/s every month, and then beginning at 28 weeks they want me to come in TWICE a week for a non stress test. My goodness, I am going to be living at the doctors!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-14-2009 - 3:32pm

Did they give your condition for needing the u/s and nonstress test a name.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-15-2009 - 12:06pm

It sounds like you have the same thing that I did. When they do your NT scan the blood work tests they do are HCG and PAPP-A. Low PAPP-A can indicate placenta problems. If you google it you can find alot of (scary) information!

I believe the non-stress testing and extra u/s every month is to check amniotic levels and to make sure the baby is getting enough oxygen as well as to check and make sure the placenta is looking ok.

Although it is going to be a pain in the (you know what) I am glad they will be monitoring it. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about doing the same?

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-15-2009 - 6:15pm
Whoa, that is a lot of doctor appointments! I hope your non-stress tests go better than mine did with my last baby. It seemed like she was always sleeping when I was in there, and it took forever for it to be finished. She is perfectly fine, just a quiet little girl, but having one a week for the last month was almost enough to do me in! I was so glad when she came three weeks early, not sure I would have lasted. Most of the other women were out in half the time, so hopefully you will be like them and not me!

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious