New Doc - Unexpected u/s - all good

iVillage Member
New Doc - Unexpected u/s - all good
Wed, 04-29-2009 - 11:14am

I've decided to use a new doc this time, and I made a bad assumption that the first appt would be like the first appt at last doc.

Mindy

Expecting a Turkey Baby -11/28

My baby has grown so big in the last two weeks that

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-29-2009 - 3:49pm

Congrats on a good u/s!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 7:04am

Mindy,
Congrats on your pg and I'm glad all looks well. My first was an emergency c/s coupled with exploratory surgery (I had an obstructed bowel). I was under general anesthesia, and my DD was 5w early so went straight to the NICU. I felt HORRIBLE after and wasn't able to see my DD for about 9 hours or hold her/try to nurse her for almost 24 hours. Luckily she spent only 1.5 days in the NICU before coming to my room. We had a rocky start to BF but eventually figured it out and I nursed her for 14 months.

My 2nd was a scheduled c/s. I debated a VBAC but for me (I had 3 m/c between my girls as well as a fibroid removed) the risk of uterine rupture, even though it's relatively small, was too great so we opted for the scheduled c/s. It was 100% better than the emergency c/s. I walked myself into the delivery room, got the spinal which wasn't bad and spent the entire c/s (which was probably longer than most due to lots of scar tissue) talking with my DH, the anesthesiologist, Drs. etc. My DH held our DD while they closed me up, then I held her as they wheeled me to recovery and basically other than when they took her for her first bath she didn't leave my side, nursed beautifully and it was just a great experience. I don't do well with morphine so before the c/s I discussed this with the Dr. and was given Toradol, which is like a heavy duty motrin - for me it relieves the pain but my head is fine. Yes, I was sore for a couple days but by the time I went home (day 4) I was feeling pretty good and just taking 600 mg Motrin for pain. I would (and will, lol) do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your decision!

~Cindy (41)
DD 12/02
DD 3/06
EDD #3 12/13/09

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 3:41pm

Can you all please tell me what it is like to have a spinal??

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 5:55pm

Hi Kim,
Let me preface by saying that when I had my emergency c/s with my DD I was 34, almost 35 and that was the first surgery I'd ever had, other than having my wisdom teeth out when I was 28. And never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have a c/s - no one, I mean NO ONE in my family has ever had one and my DH & I didn't really pay attention to that part of our childbirth classes.

The spinal was really not that big of a deal. It wasn't something I'd want to do all the time but really wasn't that bad. They had me sit on the operating table and lean forward (as much as that's possible being 9 mo. pg!). They clean your back really good and put that yellowish stuff (idoine?) all over it - feels cool, not bad. Then a nurse sort of held me steady and the Anesthesiologist said I'd feel some pain/pressure - it was really quick and was sort of like a bee sting. Once they get the catheter in your spine (it's really small and thin) they tape it to your back and lay you out on the table - they do not let you ever see the needle. I really didn't notice anything unusual and didn't have any more discomfort after it was in. Shortly after they brought my DH in and I announced "I guess you can start" to which my OB said "We're already in there - we gave you a couple good pinches and you didn't feel them." They were working their way through all my scar tissue from my previous c/s and fibroid surgery.

Now the sensation of the c/s is weird - seriously - although it's not painful it felt like the baby was kickboxing in there while they were delivering her. I'll admit it did make me queasy a bit, but the anesthesiologist was right there and gave me anti-nausea meds that kicked in right away.

When they were done and cleaning me up I realized that my legs were up in sort of a butterfly position - I had no idea! LOL It was several hours before it wore off and I regained sensation in my lower half - started with my toes and worked it's way up. By the time I noticed any pain I started with the Toradol in my IV and that took it away.

It makes me kind of sad that c/s have such a bad rap. I don't think that's anyone's first choice but it's the best choice in some situations and it's not the end of the world - doesn't have to mean you can't BF or that you won't bond with your baby. I have no comparison since I never delivered vaginally, but the recovery, at least for me, wasn't that bad. The first few days are tough, the first time you try to get out of bed, walk, cough, poop, etc. aren't always fun, but each day gets better and really by the time each were about 2w old I was totally back to my normal routine. And as a bonus, your girly parts remain intact. :)

Good luck to you!

~Cindy

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 8:49pm

Kim,

A vbac is actully scarrier to me because I've never done it.

Mindy

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 9:03pm

Kim,

Actually having the epidural was the worst part of the whole thing. It's a little uncomfortable but not painful.

Mindy

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-01-2009 - 8:28pm

Glad your appointment went well, so glad you got to see your little one! A good friend of mine had 2 c-sections and then her next two were VBACs with no problems at all. She MUCH preferred the vaginal birth, she said the recovery was much quicker and easier. (((Hugs)))

Kim, you know I am thinking about you. I would be totally freaked by needing a c-section, but most women I know have had no problems with them. Just remember that is a long way off yet, no need to start worrying now! (((Hugs)))

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious