new chromosomal test?

iVillage Member
new chromosomal test?
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 4:02pm
Hello!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 7:37am

I believe the triple screen is now the quad screen and I think the "new" test you are thinking about is the NT scan which is done at 12w. I had it done with my 3 y.o. and it involves a few drops of your blood on a card along with a detailed u/s at about 12w where they measure, among other things, the thickness of the nuchal fold on the baby's neck as well as looking for other "markers." I think they combine those results with your quad screen to get your risk vs. your age. FWIW I came up higher than my age with my DD (I think I was 1/88 and I was 37 at the time) but like the Dr. said, there was still a 87/88 chance that she was fine, and she was. I plan on having it done again as I'm very fearful of the invasiveness CVS and amnio.

~Cindy (41)
#3 due 12/13/09

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-11-2009 - 11:23am

Perhaps you are referring to a CVS which is similar to the amnio but done earlier which gives you more time to decide "what to do" if there is something wrong. The difference in the tests is that amnio is taking amniotic fluid, while CVS is taking placenta material. The procedure is also very similar although CVS is said to be a little more invasive 1% risk increased risk. I had a CVS test done at week 11 and thought it wasn't painful. Test results took about 10 days and they told me I was having a girl without any known genetic malformations.

Talk to your doctor about the risks/benefits and make the best decision for you.

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 12:43am
Congrats on your pregnancy! I don't know of any conclusive tests like the CVS or amnio. The NT scan is often unreliable too. As far as I know, any of the less invasive tests can only give you an odds factor, not tell you for sure anything significant about your baby. The only way to know that the baby has normal chromosomes are the more invasive tests. However, if you do hear of one, I would love to know about it!

Michelle

Loving Mom to three

Michelle

Loving Mom to three rambunctious