Are You Ready for the Holidays?

iVillage Member
Are You Ready for the Holidays?
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 2:59pm

Geez, can you believe it's December 21 already??? Where did the year go? Are you ready for the holiday craziness? I know not everyone celebrates Christmas but this is still a busy time of year -- Hannukah, Kwanza (which I know is not technically a holiday but it's a celebration nonetheless), Christmas, then New Year's right on the tail of everything else. Whew!

I suppose I/we are as ready as we can be. I got my family's cookie tins nicely packaged and packed last night ready to send to Philadelphia and San Francisco. I also packed the rest of our friends' tins then put them outside in our grill to keep them frozen until we give them to them later this week (what can I say, I ran out of room in our two freezers, LOL!). We still have a few small things to pick up for the girls, and of course I still have to wrap EVERYTHING for them, but hey, I still have 3 days for that! Anthony's family does their big Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve so that leaves Christmas Day wide open which is nice -- we can spend all morning opening gifts with the girls (and cleaning up the subsequent mess), then I'll start prepping food for our friends who'll be spending Christmas afternoon and evening with us (like me, they have no family here so when they don't go home for Christmas, we usually spend Christmas with them). This year will be a simple, fun menu; just lots of finger foods like salmon mousse, pork and shrimp shumai (parmesan toast with proscuitto and fig jam, and a string bean Provencale dish -- plus whatever else they bring. Not sure what to make for dessert, I just know it has to be something easy that I can hopefully prep the day before...

I hope you're all in the holiday mood and are ready for fun and celebrating! So let's hear how it's going for everyone...

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 4:49pm

Our Hanukkah party was on Saturday - affectionately known as "fry everything!"

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 12:02am

I am ready. We had our Hanukkah party last week. We did the candles and had latkes. Thats my side.

Now, my husbands side, Christmas. we are ready. Did all my shopping on line. Mostly backtobasicstoys.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 7:44am
I'm glad you enjoyed your party this weekend and are looking forward to hunkering down at home. LOL about the "fry everything" party! That's what it's like at my IL's on Christmas Eve. EVERYTHING is deep fried. MIL even makes bread and deep fries it! Ugh! I never heard of deep fried peach halves, though, that's a new one. But like my BIL says, "anything deep fried is good"! Enjoy your relaxing time at home.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 7:47am
Wow, you really have a lot going on this time of year! I'm sure your Hanukkah party was a good one. I love latkes (have had them only a few times but I enjoyed them every time I had them). Good for you for online shopping! We actually didn't do much shopping on-line this year but we did order quite a few things for the girls from Sears' Wish book and had them shipped to our local store for pick up. That was pretty easy. : ) Sounds like a quiet New Year's may be in order for you after all the celebrating you will have done by then. Enjoy!

Photobucket

Photobucket