2T screen worse

iVillage Member
2T screen worse
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 8:44pm

Well I got my 2T screen results back today and unfortunately they are worse, not better. My 1T result was 1 in 97, 2T is 1 in 64 for T21.

I have a genetic counseling appt and ultrasound scheduled this thursday, with the option to do amnio immediately after. We definately will do the amnio after if we see soft markers, not sure yet what we will do if u/s looks good.

Spent some time crying today, now I just have a big headache.

- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 9:25pm
I'm sorry to hear the odds changed unfavorably, but I have to say, the odds you were given today sound like typical odds for a 41 - 42 year pregnant woman -- i.e., the statistical average any woman would be given without having had any screening of any kind (I can assure you that those sound like the odds I was given before I had any testing). Also, if you do the actual math, the odds mean that statistically speaking, you have something like a 99.8% chance of having a healthy baby. I know how scary it is to receive statistics like these, but I hope you'll be able to think positively about your odds of having a healthy baby. My husband and I needed to now one way or the other that status of our baby's condition which is why we chose to pursue diagnostic testing. I completely understand this isn't right for everyone and that you have some particular concerns about having it done due to your previous experience with it, but you need to weigh which will be more emotionally stressful for you and your DH: waiting until delivery to know definitively the chromosomal status of your baby or assuming the risk that diagnostic testing carries for the sake of knowing for sure throughout the remainder of your pregnancy your baby's chromosomal well being. It's a very difficult decision, for sure. I wish you the best as you work through this difficult time. Lean on us whenever you need to and please keep us posted on how you're doing. Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 5:20pm

Thanks Joan,

I know the odds look about average, I'm just concerned that several of the numbers are right at the average for T21 pregnancies, and that the HCG rose significantly, also a pattern with T21 pg's. Plus the fact I've seemed to be at the bad end of every statistic in the past, it negates any ability I once had to think "it won't happen to me".

I am still scared of possible PROM from the amnio, but am leaning towards doing the amnio. I think at this point my anxiety is so high I just need to know, or I'll be anxious for the rest of the pg. I plan on putting myself on bedrest for a couple days after the amnio to try to minimize any risk, or at least to know I did everything I could.

- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 8:42am

Even though your odds now seem slightly higher than they did in the 1stT, 1 in 64 is still a 98+ percent chance of not having a baby with Down, so try not to worry too much no matter what measures you plan to take to find out. Even though I don't think my numbers came back vastly different from yours, I was told everything's in the normal range and I'm comfortable with those odds. I decided early I'll deal with whatever I'm dealt, so if I do have a child with Down Syndrome in the end, I feel I'll be able to adjust accordingly. I had the opportunity to spend the day around a young boy (not quite 3 years old) with Down last month and he was such a sweet and loving child. I have also observed children with Down in school settings, and many are of average to above average intelligence and do just fine. Of course, it presents additional challenges (as if having children isn't already highly challenging!), but I'm ready to face them if they're meant for me. 

Make a pregnancy ticker

Edited 3/18/2010 8:43 am ET by karen2010
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 1:31pm

Hi Jenna I just wanted to check in and tell you to keep your chin up. I know you have had such huge hurdles to overcome to even get to this point and I hope everything turns out ok. Just FYI we didn't do any of the screenings you are talking about because our genetic counselor told us they would basically all come back positive for something just strictly based on my age so we only did the amnio when it was considered "safe" and everything turned out perfect. I know the last time you had an amnio it led to a m/c so I don't know where you are at with doing one again or just accepting what will be. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you to finish out this pregnancy with a beautiful new baby in your arms. Please KUP on what you are comfortable with posting.

Hugs,
Tiffany

Photobucket

Mom & Brooke

Tiffany TTC #1 Together
VR 12/06
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 4:58pm

Hi Jenna.

Just wondering how you are doing.

I saw your post, and I'm sorry you find yourself experiencing this anxiety.

One thing I read (on-line...not sure about the accuracy) is that the 1T screen is more accurate than the 2T screen...in your case that is good news. (Of course, I was way liking my 2T screening results better than the 1st.)

Regardless...it's just a screening...it's blood work and I really do believe that it can be crazy off...how knows what's going on in a 40+ year old woman's body when it comes to brain-producing hormones.

Also, our perinatologist really didn't feel like he could get an accurate assessment of soft-tissue markers at that stage of pregnancy. He offered the amnio to be done at 16-weeks, but didn't schedule our follow-up "soft-tissue" u/s until 20+ weeks.

I suppose they're all different in their opinions.

Hoping all went well today,

Valerie

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 5:26pm

I guess I was a little off in my understanding of what they meant by "the normal range" when they told me the general results of my screen over the phone-- I thought they meant for my age, but my numbers are actually much better than I expected, 1 in 447 for Down and 1 in like 1700 for another trisomy. That's not a definite diagnosis, of course, but with those odds and not seeing any other signs during my US today, I'm comfortable proceeding without amnio. But it's such an individual choice. As I said before, try to remember the odds are still greatly in your favor and not to stress too much whether you decide to have it done or not.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 5:42pm

Thanks Valerie,

My u/s went well. They were able to visualize all 10 measurement/markers for T21 and all 10 were normal, which cut my risk by 50% to 1/128. Based on this, and my fear of losing a baby due to amnio, we decided not to do the amnio yesterday. We will do another Level 2 u/s at 21+ weeks and if we see soft markers then we will do an amnio then.

I still have some anxiety, but it is much better than it was, and at this time I'd rather live with that than take the chance of losing the baby due to amnio.

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 6:15pm

Jenna,

That's such great news! I'm so happy for you!

I try to imagine being in your shoes...to have such a burning desire to have a baby, having gone thru all of the losses and heartache and then to have this added stress on top of it...well, I'd be a mess, myself!

I think, with what you've shared, that waiting/postponing the amnio at this time is a wise decision; especially, since all 10 markers appeared normal and a repeat scan is scheduled.

That's what I keep thinking...what if I miscarry only to find out that baby was normal chromosomally? I know it's different for you b/c I do already have 2 normal-chromosomal kiddos, but still!

Even with having 2 babies...it is hard for other women to understand that my "infertility" has not been cured! My RE insisted that I understood that...that even though we successfully created, carried, and delivered Mary Catherine, we are still technically infertile or "sub-fertile".

After Benjamin, I did get a bit cocky...like my body figured out what to do with my husband's crappy sperm and repeat success was just a given. BOOM. Last year's miscarriage quickly reminded me that I can't get pregnant at will or necessarily get to the 2nd trimester! That's why I am celebrating every milestone I make with this pregnancy!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Val

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 7:34pm

Jenna,

So glad to hear of the great improvement, and that it's helped ease your anxiety some. Besides the slightly increased miscarriage risk (which you've experienced first-hand), I opted not to have amnio done because I have another health issue that has a greater chance of affecting the baby through amnio. As i said, circumstances are slightly different for everyone, but I'm glad you found what feels most comfortable to you. Hang in there and take it easy.

Photobucket