First OB and 5 wk u/s Tomorrow

iVillage Member
First OB and 5 wk u/s Tomorrow
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 5:01pm
I'm unsure as to why my OB ordered an u/s for tomorrow since I'm only 5 wks. I'm pretty sure all there will be to see is a yolk sac. I'm a little nervous though, as I am with every early u/s. Has anyone else had an u/s this early?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 9:06pm
I never had an ultrasound this early but I can only presume that your doc is just taking precautions by ordering an early ultrasound. Maybe to rule out things like ectopic pregnancy? Just a thought, I don't know for sure. At any rate, I'd look at it as something positive rather than something negative. I know how our minds have a tendency to run wild so I can only image what you're thinking. Try to think positively and remind yourself that this is a good thing. Please let us know how it goes. Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 11:44pm

Hi there.

I have always had early u/s as I have a long and horrible history with infertility/loss.

You're right to expect to see only a gestational sac and fetal pole. Probably too early to see a heartbeat although it is already there! So don't panic if you don't see it!

Wishing you all the best,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:06am

Thank you, Valerie. That is reassuring to know not to expect a heartbeat today. This is my 6th pregnancy (7th child) so you'd think I'd be an old pro at this by now but each time it feels like the first time! I panic/worry about everything though! I appreciate your response!

Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:09am

I'm sure you're right. My doctor is ultra conservative so I'm sure this is not because he suspects anything wrong, but wants to track everything from early on. Guess I'll find out in a few more hours!

Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 6:44pm

Kimmysue,

I actually had my first ultrasound done earlier, during wk 4. I was at the hospital for something else and mentioned my period was late, so they did a pregnancy test that came back positive and followed up with an ultrasound. IMO, that was far too early-- they couldn't even see a sac in my uterus yet and as a result a PA there told me it might be an ectopic pregnancy, which caused me two weeks of anxiety until the pregnancy was confirmed as viable in wk 6. At that time, the US showed a sac in my uterus with a few little specks in the middle, which I was told was the "little peanut," and the heartbeat was confirmed. But there was so little detail, and this is my first time going through this, so I was blown away to see a nearly fully formed (but only three inch) baby moving and with all his fingers wiggling around by my NT scan in wk 13.

Good luck with the appointment, and of course let us know what happens. I hope it's not so early that it only causes additional anxiety.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Edited 4/2/2010 3:25 pm ET by karen2010
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 10:44am

Hi Karen and congratulations on your first baby!

Sometimes I wonder if some "trained" medical professionals skipped the class on tact! Why in the world would someone tell any mom, much less a first-time mom, at 4wks that their pregnancy could be ectopic! She had nothing to base that on because she couldn't see anything at that point! Ugh. I'm sorry you had to go through those weeks of worry but obviously your pregnancy wasn't ectopic and now you have a healthy baby boy on the way. How exciting!

Hopefully I'll survive the next two looooong weeks of waiting and will get to see a hb!

Kim