Update to 5 wk u/s appt.

iVillage Member
Update to 5 wk u/s appt.
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 5:12pm

Well, I had my appointment. Overall it was pretty uninformative. Doctor just wanted to make sure there was nothing implanted in my tubes. There was a sac in the uterus, where it should be, but it was measuring "under 5 wks" and I am 5wk1d today. The doctor said that is normal and not necessarily anything to be concerned about but if I was worried he could do another u/s next week and also do bloodwork every 2 days for the next week to make sure things were doubling. Not wanting to get myself too worked up over this, I opted to have another u/s in TWO weeks when we should most certainly see a baby/heartbeat. Next week we would still be likely to not see anything and frankly, not seeing anything to me (even though normal at this stage) is more troubling than just waiting it out. I'm just a worrier by nature. I also elected not to have the bloodwork done but my OB said if at any time I change my mind, or am worried about anything I can come back, have another u/s, or do the bloodwork. I love that my doctor is so sensitive (he's delivered 4 of my 5 babies). So at this point, I've chosen to wait it out. If anything, I may change my mind and decide to do some bloodwork, we'll see how patient I can be.

I HATE this waiting part! If things are not going to work out, I'd MUCH rather know now than grow more attached to this baby over the next few weeks. But even if the bloodwork comes back with good numbers, I'll still worry until I actually see a heartbeat.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 9:31pm
Thanks for updating us. I was wondering how it went today. What great news that the sac was in the uterus -- no ectopic pregnancy! It's also great that your doc is so willing to accommodate you and your wishes. Yes, waiting is always hard to do. Just try to take things one day at a time and before you know it, two weeks will be here and you'll be having your next ultrasound. I hope you're feeling well. Thanks again for posting an update.

Photobucket

Photobucket