My appointment...

iVillage Member
My appointment...
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 10:51am

went well I think. The doctor wanted my hcg count to increase at least 60%, better if it doubled, in 48 hours. It went up a little over 80%. She went over my risks, ordered more blood tests, and set up an ultrasound at 7wks. I felt like she was professional and pleasant but not really encouraging.

So here I am. Glad for the good hcg rise, and thinking that the ultrasound seems so far away, ha ha. Being tired and VERY forgetful, I'm wondering how I will ever take care of a baby. This will pass, right?

Edited 4/17/2010 2:26 pm ET by sunnymama7
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 11:12am
I'm glad to hear your appointment went well. It seems like some docs are just more personable than others are. My doc is great. I love him, and he has a great sense of humor, and although he never lectured me on the increased risks of being an AMA woman, he was open and honest with me about telling me he didn't think we should try for a third child. In fact, his words to me were "What are you crazy?!?" Then, when he saw my husband on a separate occasion, (my hubby works at the hospital so they see each other relatively often), he said to me hubby "Your wife told me she wanted to try for another baby. Are you f____n' crazy? She's over 40 and she's a Type 1 diabetic. Quit while you're ahead and be happy with the two beautiful, healthy girls you have." I know of many woman who would be offended by his comments but neither of us were offended. We were actually pleased that he shared his opinion with us; that's why we see him. So, although they do exist, I think there are fewer docs who are encouraging about "older" women having children. From a mere medical perspective, that's what they're trained to know and believe. So lean on us for any support and encouragement you need. The women here have tons of great insight, advice, and experience and will help you along however you need it. Thanks for updating us. Looking forward to hearing about your ultrasound appointment.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 11:36am

Thank you Joan. You, and many women here, are very encouraging and it helps! She just caught me off guard since she specializes in high risk pregnancy, and since hubby and I tried for so long to have our first I was thinking along the lines of miracle pregnancy. Expecting her to see it the same way is a bit self-centered of me I suppose. Oh well, on to other things.

How are you doing today?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 2:31pm

I love your ticker! If she's a high risk doctor, I think I would've expected a warmer response, too. It's funny how these professionals chose their profession yet seem to sometimes be misfits in it... I guess the most important thing is that she knows her stuff; bedside manner (or lack of it) is secondary to the care she gives you and your baby.

I'm OK today. I'm sure you know by now from my other posts that pregnancy and I don't get along very well, LOL! I went bike riding with my five year old last night and boy, did I pay the price for it last night and today. The right side of my body (along my rib cage) hurts LOTS. Ugh, what was I thinking?!?!?! Thanks for asking about me. Be sure to update us after your ultrasound appointment and feel free to post away until then. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 4:58pm

Leah, sounds like great news so far...glad to hear that your hCG rose appropriately.

BTW...have you had much experience with hCG (I apologize. I can't keep everyone straight in my mind!) I only ask b/c if you haven't you can drive yourself crazy with the numbers and if you have then you know you can drive yourself crazy with the numbers! HA!

Wishing you continued success and lots of peace until that 7week u/s.

Valerie

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 2:06pm

Oh ouch, Joan. In a few weeks you'll be back to all the pain-free bike-riding you want :)

Thanks Valerie. No, this is my first go around. I am a long-time googler and board stalker though. After reading dismal AMA statistics in a pregnancy book the day before, I just wanted to put to rest my fears that my pregnancy had already gone wrong. So the results helped.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 7:50pm
Glad to hear your numbers are increasing well! This is the most tiring part of pg--it seems as though I was always exhausted the first 13 or so weeks. I am still tired, but not nearly as much. Happy and Healthy 9 months to you!

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 5:44pm

Glad to hear of your great increase. Those statistics (from the material on AMA), read a certain way, can seem very discouraging, but from the beginning, I tried to flip them around to see the glass as half-full (actually, much more than half, as it turns out) rather than half empty. That meant that my 1 in 50 to 1 in 60 chance (depending on whose statistics you choose) of having a baby w/ DS based on my age was actually only a two-percent risk. One of my sisters, who tends to catastrophize in general, read the statistic of 1 in 30 at age 45 (although I'm not 45 for over two more years) as a 30 percent risk of DS, rather than a 96%+ chance of having a baby without DS. Besides, I felt I have room in my life and heart for such a child if that's what I'm presented with. What would have been more difficult would have been miscarriage or any kind of birth defect that was, as they say, incompatible with life. But it hasn't turned out that way for me or many others on this board, so I'm glad you can take heart in that. We've seen our share of sad losses but the successes help to put the risks in perspective, where as so many articles and books on the topic of AMA seem to focus primarily on the risks.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Edited 4/20/2010 10:51 am ET by karen2010
Photobucket