NT today, still waiting on blood work

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-25-2010
NT today, still waiting on blood work
5
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 6:38pm
I had my NT today and feel better about my risk.
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-08-2009
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 8:35pm

Sounds great!

I agree with your SO that you should relish in the good news you received, but I know it's easier said than done.

Perhaps you should delay your amnio decision until you get your blood work results.

If you get something quirky like I did then you can reconsider/revisit your decision.

I will tell you this...I still wasn't given as great of odds as you after my soft-tissue marker search, where not one marker was seen and nuchal measurement was still terrific, but I've come to peace with this. It's been 12-weeks since I first got the news of a 1:17 result and so I truly can say that I've made peace with our decision. Time has lessened my anxiety and I've been researching and learning about DS just in case we do get that "surprise" at delivery.

For now, take some deep breaths and try to relax. Also, as Karen often points out...the odds are still in my favor 96% that I will deliver a normal chromosomed baby even with 1:17 odds. You can also use that info to your advantage.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 9:44pm

Great results so far. Even if the blood test results indicate a risk higher than that, it will likely still be much lower than what you started with and leaves you a very good chance of having a baby without special needs (of course, I feel all children have special needs, but you know what I mean). Yes, relax. My risk for Downs based on my combined results is 1 in 447, or in other words nearly a 99.9% chance my baby will not have the condition. Even if it turned out he did, I'd deal with it, but those odds leave me fairly comfortable not knowing 100%.

Also, it's great that your SO is so supportive. That makes two things you have to celebrate at this point.

Photobucket


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-05-2008
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 11:00pm
Congratulations on such great odds! You sound a lot like me -- I, too, continued to worry "what if" until I had all the blood work analyses/results back, etc.. I did the NT screening (including blood tests for both DH and me and genetic background/history) with our first daughter (I was 36 when I had her) and with my two subsequent pregnancies (including this one), I went straight for the amnio. I remember waiting for the complete screening results just as you are now but from what I recall, I was pretty content with the odds we received at the time of our ultrasound. That's not to say I didn't always have that "what if..." question/concern in the back of my mind (it stayed with me until I delivered our daughter), but it did help calm my fears significantly and allowed me to relax a lot more throughout the remainder of my pregnancy. I hope you'll find the same is true for you. Yes, it can be hard to do, but I hope you find a way to release some of the worry from your mind. Much easier said than done, I know... Please keep us posted when you receive your complete screening results. Hang in there. ; )
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-25-2010
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 6:24pm
Joan, if it isn't too personal - what made you decide to have the amnio after good NT results.
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-05-2008
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 7:32pm

Hi Charlotte. My post may have been a little confusing or mis-leading... I did the NT and blood work screening with our first daughter but did not have an amnio done with her. With each of my subsequent two pregnancies, I just did the amnio. When I had our first daughter, I was (only) 36 years old so although I was technically AMA, I wasn't overly concerned about DS or any other trisomies. And, in all honesty, I wasn't nearly as informed of AMA, trisomies, DS, and other risks more common among AMA women. My doc didn't spend a great deal of time going over the risks. As I recall we had a very brief (like maybe two minutes?) discussion about them and based on his opinion, we decided we'd do the NT screening, and, if the results of the screening warranted it, pursue amnio. Otherwise, we'd forego the amnio. Because the screening results were resoundingly good, we decided to forego the amnio. Had we received odds that we weren't content with, I would've had the amnio done in a heartbeat. Absolutely, positively. But that's just because I'm not one who deals with uncertainty very well.

With each of the next two pregnancies, I was 40 or older at delivery time and quite frankly, we just wanted to know definitively the well-being of the baby (chromosomally speaking, that is). I know that if I had done just the NT screening with blood work, even with "good" results, I still would've had the "what if?" question in the back of my mind. And because the risk of m/c associated with amniocentesis where I had it done (Mt. Sinai in Toronto) was miniscule, we were more than willing to assume that risk for the sake of knowing whether our baby had good chromosomes. The fact that we already had another daughter who we feel would've been affected by our having a special needs child also played a role. We believe that she would've been affected as much as we and the baby would've been had the baby had DS or other trisomy and so for us, it was important to know as far in advance as possible so we could plan as needed.

I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but that's pretty much how we arrived at our decisions to do what we did. It's such a difficult decision to make, I know. And there are so many variables unique to each woman and family that at times, it seems like there is really no clear answer. Best wishes to you as you work through this decision. I'm sure you'll do what is best for you and your family.

Photobucket

Photobucket