GBS+ urine test

iVillage Member
GBS+ urine test
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 8:10pm

So, although I have no UTI symptoms, I'm probably a carrier and was told to start taking an antibiotic today. I asked the nurse if there were alternatives and she said no and that I'd have to be hooked up to an iv with antibiotics for the delivery. Antibiotics and their side effects scare the heck out of me (not to mention I don't want to be tied to a pole during labor). I know Group B Strep is no laughing matter either but it looks to me that the iv antibiotics are more likely to harm the baby than GBS is. Untreated, there is a 1/200 chance the baby gets GBS and something like 6% of those 1/200 are fatal. On the other hand antibiotics kill all of baby's good, protective bacteria and leave her open to e-coli (common) and other rebound infections. You get the idea. Upon hours of research, I now know there are options with natural/holistic professionals. Just like everything else in this area, resources are slim and I can't find said professionals. I am MOST upset that instead of being helped to make informed decisions, I was given orders. EXACTLY what I don't want and I'd asked questions about at my first appointment -- and this is only week 7!

My immediate plan is to try to meditate this anxiety and anger away. Then I will likely buy some probiotics, vit.C, echinecea, eat raw garlic, and *maybe* take the d@*n antibiotics.

What do you think? Please give me your experiences, ideas and/or encouragement. Thank you.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 4:44am

I tested positive for GBS with each of my girls and had to use antibiotic IV just prior to delivery because of it. However, I've since read things very similar to what you posted below -- that the risk of passing it on to baby during delivery is quite slim. I am wondering, however, why they tested you for GSB this early on in your pregnancy? Where I live, the OB's (all four of them, LOL!) don't test for GSB until 36 weeks gestation because the bacteria can come and go, it's not always existent on us. And why do they want you to take antibiotics now? I never heard of that before -- which doesn't mean anything, it's just new to me...

My body tends to react to IV's in a very, very bad way so I'm hoping I wasn't + for GSB this time (I forgot to ask what the results of my swab were when I had my last doc appt this past Friday...), however, I tend to not buck the system, especially since my hubby works at our hospital, so unless I hear or read something more definitive about the adverse effects of the antibiotic IV vs the possibility of baby contracting GSB, I'll just unwillingly accept the darn IV. :-(

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 9:29am

I had a UTI in early pregnancy and took oral antibiotics for it. I don't believe it was GBS, but at the time it seemed leaving a UTI untreated could have caused more complications, so I just wanted to get rid of it. Hope you find the answers you're looking for and a solution, although it sounds like you may not actually have a UTI???

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 10:07am
I thought I had a UTI early on, too, and was given antibiotics for it (turns out my urine culture was negative for any infection). It wasn't suspected to be GSB so to my knowledge, I wasn't even tested specifically for GSB... I can't remember which antibiotic I took but two doctors and my pharmacist all agreed it was very safe for baby so like you, I opted to take it rather than not. If left untreated, UTI's can develop into a more serious kidney infection and I didn't want to mess around with that...
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:53pm

Interesting. Here's my experience with GBS...

Like Joan, I have never been swabbed for GBS that early in a pregnancy. Always toward the end, right before delivery.

I was positive for GBS both my kiddos and did do the IV antibiotics during the delivery, BUT, I had a breech baby and low amniotic fluid so I was scheduled for a C-Section. I already had a ton of IVs going, plus I was strapped to a table so I didn't really make a fuss about it.

I also question why you would start antibiotics now (at 7 weeks) unless the GBS did show up in your urine.

With this 3rd pregnancy, I did have a UTI during the 1st trimester. When I questioned the nurse about it b/c I felt no UTI symptoms, she explained to me that I might not experience any pain or discomfort, but that my bacteria level from GBS was in the 10s of thousands. I started the antibiotic immediately, b/c similar to Joan and Karen, I didn't want the UTI to travel into the kidneys.

In addition, I was spotting early on...and u/s showed all was well. My OB explained that absolutely the UTI could have been causing the spotting.

I don't know enough about holistic medicine to be of any help, so I wish you well in your search for answers.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 3:02pm

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better realizing how common this is. I was quite emotional yesterday.

Yes, it was detected in a routine urine test, that is why I'm taking antibiotics now. They probably won't swab me later because it will be assumed I will be GBS+ at delivery. Apparently GBS isn't harmful to adults, so if it were just me here, I'd shrug off the prescription, drink my cranberry juice, eat garlic, etc. and be on my merry way. I have done that in the past. But I don't feel confident doing this, unsupported, while pregnant. I'm just so sad and disappointed that my little baby is and will be exposed to foreign substances (for lack of a better word) before they are even born. And then there is my need for choices...

Straight cranberry juice, raw garlic, vit. C, and some other herbs should help me stay UTI free for the rest of the pregnancy, so hopefully no more rounds of oral antibiotics. Then probiotics will help me and baby replenish our good bacteria after the d&*n iv.

Thanks for listening and for your input. I appreciate it!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 4:33pm
GBS can cause miscarriage, PROM and preterm delivery, so I think the antibiotics are well worth it.
- Jenna
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 8:14pm

OMG...Jenna!

No wonder I was spotting with the GBS UTI. Although I felt fine, the nurse that called to say I needed to start an antibiotic ASAP said my bacteria count was in the 10s of thousands...eeek!

I had no idea of the complications it could cause before delivery such as the things you mentioned!

Val