Monthly OB Appt./26 Weeks

iVillage Member
Monthly OB Appt./26 Weeks
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 1:09pm

Hi Ladies.

First off, thank you so much for your kind words and sentiments that you left me regarding my anxiousness last week. I have slowly begun to respond to each of you b/c you gave me so much food for thought.

Anyway, yesterday I had my monthly OB appt. I was armed with my questions and had my husband by my side.

Due to my risk level, the perinatolgist recommended monthly growth scans. My last appt. was with the peri at 21 weeks for the soft-tissue marker/search which turned up negative! YEAH!

So, I wasn't surprised to see a very healthy and active baby boy on u/s yesterday morning. Again we saw all 4 chambers, heart rate was 154, we saw the structures of his brain and she even pointed out the cerebellum...amazing! She measured his long bones and pointed out that his feet were kicking me in the bladder...as if I wouldn't have known! LOL

He was breech, but it's sort of moot. He will be my 3rd c-section. He does have plenty of time and went from head up to transverse in just 10 minutes time. (Mary was breach, Ben was head down, but induction didn't work.) I wish this little man would also get in the head down position b/c frankly breach positions are very uncomfortable! I can definitely see and feel when he's turning sideways!

He weighs a little over 2 lbs and measured in the 60th percentile. The sonographer asked if I had big babies in the past! Ha! Mary was a tiny 6.12, but Ben was a whopping 8.7.

Anyway, on to the appt. Dr. E. said that even with a diagnosis of DS, you don't normally need anyone extra in the delivery room unless a congenital defect is noted. Since baby boy's heart was given a clean bill of health it'll just be the usual folks in delivery.

I also asked about who would tell me if he had DS. She said that news is normally delivered by the pediatrician, but DS is usually evident at delivery. If there is any question, blood can be drawn immediately and sent off for lab. We would know in a day or two. She told me we could revisit the topic closer to delivery, but if it made me feel better, a neonatologist could be on stand-by for evaluation.

As we wrapped up the appt. she left me with these words:

"If there is any way I can relieve your anxiety, please consider this: every single u/s has shown a perfectly healthy baby boy. A big baby boy. If there is one thing we know about babies with DS...they are normally very tiny. We just had an unexpected delivery of a DS baby this week, and no markers showed up on u/s, BUT her baby only measured in the 3rd percentile the entire pregnancy."

I did feel better after leaving her office. I told her that my biggest fear wasn't raising a child with DS, but feeling sadness on delivery day. She reassured me and said, "Val, regardless of his outcome, delivery day is going to be a happy and exciting day for you. With all you've been thru and lost over the years, this baby is a miracle to be excited about."

Feeling much better!
Val

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 2:15pm
Val, you are quite fortunate to have such a kind, gentle, compassionate OB. I must admit, her words brought a tear to my eye. It sounds like you're feeling better about things and have done much to prepare yourself for every possibility at delivery time. I applaud you for that. Thanks so much for sharing the news from you latest appointment. I'm glad your hubby was with you, too. I'm sure he feels more calm now, too, even if he hasn't admitted he was a bit anxious (I'm just basing this on my hubby -- he's always Mr. Cool, Calm, and Collected until after he finds out everything's OK at which time he admits he was a nervous wreck but felt he had to be strong for me). I hope you'll continue to find comfort in your doc's words and experience. Be well.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 4:05pm

Hi Val. Thanks for the update. What a wonderful appointment -- I'm so happy for you! Post pictures of your active little boy if you get the chance.

I might be in love with your doctor.