Another shocking jump in weight!

iVillage Member
Another shocking jump in weight!
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 10:22pm

Well, had an appointment back with my local OB office today and got a complete shock. I gained 10 pounds in the past month, bringing my total weight gain during pregnancy so far to 29 pounds. All but 4 pounds of that has been during the second trimester. What's worse, my doc said because I started out "obese" (16 pounds overweight at 5'6 1/2" is now considered obese?), my target weight gain should have been between 10 and 20 pounds, and closer to 10. I'm sure I was initially told between 15 and 25, and while I WAS a few pounds heavier than I was comfortable with, no one told me I was obese. Of course, I am now. I feel like a hippo, especially with this young rail of a doctor telling me I was obese before. Bottom line is I have to cut back on my eating and seriously increase the exercise, which seems even harder the bigger I get. He wants to see me in three weeks (in the meantime, I'm having the gestational diabetes screening Friday) and, if my weight gain has continued at such an accelerated pace, he'll order a U/S to make sure the baby isn't growing too fast (which I believe he said can also be a sign of GD).

I really am alarmed my weight is up by that much. Clearly I've been overindulging more than I should have, but I didn't think it was enough to gain 10 pounds in a month.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 12:47am

Hi Karen. I'm sorry you're feeling so belittled by your doc. OK, I'll reveal something I'm least proud of....I'm up almost 70 freakin' pounds. Yes, that's right, 70!!! Talk about feeling like a hippo, well that's me! My doc never once said anything to me about my weight. I gained this much with each of the girls, too, and he never said anything to me with either of them. I know what the benefits are to baby of Mom staying within the "ideal" weight throughout pregnancy, but in the grand scheme of things, there are lots of other factors that I personally think more directly affect baby's growth, health, and well-being. If you're already eating wisely and healthfully, then cutting back on what you're presently eating may actually be harmful to you and/or baby. You both need your nutrients to grow and develop in an ideal fashion. Only you know your eating habits so I personally think you should change your eating habits only if you know you're indulging yourself too frequently and/or on too much food.

Unless your sugar is high (i.e., you have gestational diabetes and either don't know it or don't control it well), yes, the baby can get quite large. But baby won't be large just because you're gaining a lot of weight. I gained 60+ with Lilah and she weighed 6 lbs 2 oz at birth and I gained 70 with Eva ad she weighed 5 lbs 12 ozs. So weight gain alone has no impact on baby's weight. I wish you the best as you try to figure out what, if anything, you can and should do to minimize future weight gain, but remember, you know your body best. Best wishes to you.

Your fellow hippo, Joan. : )

P.S. - My hubby works with one of our neighbors (not one that I really know at all), and yesterday as Anthony was walking home from one of the local parks with the girls, this neighbor stopped Anthony to say he saw me walking with Eva the other day. Anthony laughed, then said, "Actually, what he said was 'Well first I saw her belly coming, then I saw the rest of her. When is she due? She's huge?'". Nice, huh?

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 7:13am

Joan, thanks for the reassurance. It's not that I felt belittled by my doc, just couldn't believe he would have called me "obese" before. Yes, I could have stood to lose a few pounds, but I didn't consider myself very overweight. Even two of my sisters who have very little fat on their bodies are not exactly lightweights either. Everyone's a bit different. I'll just focus on doing more of the right things I already do-- eating lots of veggies and whole grain and minimizing saturated fats in my diet. I very rarely eat fast/fried food. The main thing I can cut back at this point is sugar/desserts, but I need a little something sweet at night after dinner. Oh well, as long as the baby's healthy, that's the main thing that matters in the end.

Sorry about your neighbor's comment-- I'll probably be hearing the same before too long. But wow- your big day is almost here!!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 9:46am
Yeah, I find it interesting that he considers 16 lbs overweight "obese". There are clinical definitions for "obese", "morbidly obese", etc., (I don't know what they are off the top of my head) but I have a hard time believing 16 lbs over ideal weight is "obese"... Just my unqualified two cents. : ) I don't think you should get too worked up over his comments. It sounds to me like you're trying to do everything you should be doing regarding your diet. And I know what you mean about needing something sweet. With my girls, that's all I wanted throughout both pregnancies and trying to stave off those cravings is pretty darn hard! Hang in there and best wishes to you.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 10:26am

Hi Karen.

I have to agree with you that (at least to me) 16 lbs over ideal body weight does not fall into the "obese" category, but I'm no doctor. LOL I was watching a medical show last night (not related to pregnancy) and the doctor said that "morbidly obese" was considered 100 lbs over ideal body weight...clearly you are far from that, but I don't know what the definition of "obesity" is.

As Joan mentioned, just b/c you do end up putting on lots of weight, doesn't necessarily translate to having a big baby (although GD can and does lead to big babies if not kept under control). Unfortunately, that just means that the weight is on you and it might make for a tougher battle to lose afterwards! :) I imagine that just our age/slower metabolism makes us more susceptible to easier weight gain while pregnant.

B/c I am truly more like 25lbs over ideal body weight for my height, I probably am more conscientious than a lot of moms...plus with my GD history I feel compelled to monitor myself closely. I have kept my weight gain at or below 10 lbs with the last two babies which makes for a nice present to myself after delivery! HA!

I say, enjoy yourself until you know for sure if this is GD. Like Joan said, only you truly know if you are overindulging too often, but even then...so what? Is this your one and only pregnancy? Probably...unless you decide to give this little one a sibling with a future partner....so, enjoy this for all it's worth until you know that there is a medical necessity for self-control! LOL

Like Joan, I have a girlfriend that always gains close to 80lbs with each pregnancy. At your rate...you'd only hit 59 lbs! LOL Just teasing you!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 4:21pm

Thanks, ladies. I feel a little better about the whole situation and I've done better today with the eating, not over or under-eating and eating all nutritious food.

I'm just curious about whether there are some symptoms of GD I should be looking for, besides rapid weight gain. Because I don't really feel any different-- no lightheaded feeling or like I'm having crashes or spikes in blood sugar, other that some sleepiness after lunch, which is common and I've experienced for years without any indication of diabetes. Diabetes doesn't run in my family either, though I'm sure that doesn't mean I couldn't experience it during pregnancy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 8:20pm

They typical symptoms of diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2) are frequent urination, excessive thirst, hunger, and weight loss, and fatigue -- all of which are kind of hard to identify as symptoms of anything other than pregnancy, LOL (well, except for the weight loss which is kind of a moot point while pregnant, right?)!

I'm glad to hear you've calmed down about the weight gain. I know it's important to eat healthfully and try to maintain weight, but it sounds like you've been trying to do both these things all along. I'm certainly no medical expert and I don't mean to contradict your doc, but I wouldn't stress about it too much -- especially considering you're being (and have been) concientious about what you eat and have been trying to remain active. Be well, I'll catch up with you and everyone else in a few days...

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 11:02pm

I just found a BMI calculator and plugged in my height and early pregnancy weight and it came up overweight, which I already knew, but not obese. Then I tried it with my current weight and it did come up obese. I think he plugged in my current weight (he was using a BMI index on his computer) and not my previous weight. So, although I have still surpassed the recommended weight gain of 15-25 lbs (which is what I've thought it was all along), I don't think I'm as much over as he was saying. Plan to point this out at my next appointment and clarify with him how he calculated my initial BMI.

Sorry to keep going on about this. But I definitely feel better about it, even though it still means I need to be careful (but not freak out) because I've gained more than the recommended amount.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 9:21pm

Hi Karen.

Joan did a great job explaining the symptoms that you might be experiencing if you are headed toward a diagnosis of GD.

For me, I usually begin to experience excessive urination...and I mean excessive after meal times and thirst like no one's business.

So far I've yet to go there, but I'm concerned b/c I have been waking up thirsty during the middle of the night. On the one hand, I have not been drinking enough H2O like I should, so it could be as simple as dehyrdration, but on the other hand, my biggest problem with GD wasn't controlling blood sugar during the day (after meals), but during the night!

My fasting blood sugar (what your first blood sugar of the day is referred to as) kept creeping up higher and higher. I tried eating protein snacks before bed, but ended up needing Glyburide with Benjamin (an oral form of insulin...Joan, correct me if I'm wrong!) at bedtime. That helped me to keep my blood sugar in the normal range throughout the night.

One thing you should know...women generally have higher blood sugar first thing in the morning than men. This is due to the different hormones in our bodies than men have. These hormones are used by our bodies to wake ourselves up in the AM, but if you are Type 1, Type 2, or GD can be too high.

It is a positive sign that you don't have a history of diabetes in your family! Just know that you are right in realizing that GD can strike any woman, but especially women who are over 40 or carrying extra weight.

Wishing you luck with avoiding this!!!

Val