Had my 1st ultrasound...very worried

iVillage Member
Had my 1st ultrasound...very worried
Sat, 05-15-2010 - 12:45am
Well, I know I should probably be jumping for joy.....but I'm having a hard time.

Well I went for my 1st ultrasound yesterday and

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-15-2010 - 9:23am

Danielle,

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your pregnancy.

I know just were you are coming from (as do so many here). I too have never had trouble getting pregnant - just staying pregnant. DH and I have gotten to the point where we just say I might be pregnant right up to 13 weeks. We have had 1 complete success (DD will be 3 in July) and we are looking good this time at 21 weeks but I still worry.

I have never had a first u/s that has agreed with my dates. They have been 2 to 5 days off. 120 for a first heartbeat is good though. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us posted after your next u/s.

Lisa

ps You have an adorable family.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-15-2010 - 4:38pm

Dani,

It would be difficult not to be worried right now, but I'm sending you lots of SBVs and holding close in my thoughts the chance that you'll get over this rough spot and be able to continue your pregnancy. You were just leaving this board when I first got here, and I hope you get to stay around this time and stay on this journey. I'll be 43 in less than a month, and my LO (my first) seems to be progressing well (though I still get nervous about different things all the time, including extreme tightness in my belly right now, which I think are strong Braxton Hicks contractions). But it is possible you'll get through this. Hang in there.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 11:50pm
Danielle, I can feel the worry in your post. I know how scared you are to get excited. Try to just take things one day at a time. I know of many women who experienced less or no symptoms during early pregnancy so try not to let that factor into your worry. Try to remember that every pregnancy is different, even for the same woman. I'll keep you in my thoughts and will keep sending you tons of sticky baby vibes. Please keep us posted. Best wishes to you and hang in there.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 6:17pm

Hi Danielle.

Welcome back and congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'll share just a few thoughts in response to your post that I hope put you at ease...

First, unlike you, I do not get pregnant easily (due to male factor infertility) and it only averages about 1X a year. That being said, I have had 5 miscarriages in all...but only one miscarriage after a heart beat. Last year's miscarriage occurred around the 10-week window, but at the 7-week u/s baby's heart beat only measured a mere 90...that's not good. 120 for a first heart beat is excellent between 6 and 7 weeks.

Second, embryos and fetuses do grow at their own rate. I remember how scared I was at my 6-week u/s (we conceived our daughter/first born thru IVF/ICSI) b/c our RE said, "Well, I'm not sure how this pregnancy is going to progress...we usually like to see more at this point." I was devastated! 10-days later, just shy of 8-weeks we saw tremendous growth and baby was now measuring where she was supposed to be. Embryos actually have "resting" periods so don't panic yet!

Finally, I agree with the OBs office about the use of progesterone. If you have a progesterone-making issue, than it definitely helps, but recent studies have shown that if progesterone is low due to a chromosomal abnormality, it usually will not prevent or stop a miscarriage from occurring. Also, it's possible to miscarry due to a genetic defect and have a perfectly normal chromosomal baby. Each chromosome carries genes and it is those genes that can go awry during the 6-8 week window of development.

So, hang in there! I know it is way to easy to say not to stress...and you still will, but perhaps you can read some prayer/inspiratioinal books, indulge in some warm baths, and rest as much as possible during these stressful, but critical weeks.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,

Valerie