Last OB Appt. EVAH!!!

iVillage Member
Last OB Appt. EVAH!!!
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 11:51pm

Well, I had my last OB appt. ever, unless you count delivery day!

Sonographer told me that she was honestly surprised to see me b/c last Monday he was so far down in the pelvis. I was sort of surprised I made it myself, but really, I need this to go according to schedule, b/c we don't have family in town and my parents aren't arriving until Wednesday afternoon.

C-section is scheduled for Thursday morning at 7:30 AM with hospital arrival at 5:30 AM. UGH! I probably won't be able to sleep much that night, anyway!

I have opted for a tubal ligation while I'm having the c-section...so no more 40+ surprise babies for me. While I don't think I'm too old to have another baby, I think that my body just doesn't handle this pregnancy thing well.

Fire hubby is concerned that the gestational diabetes is not going to go away...I've been doing pretty well controlling my sugars, but forgot to take my Glyburide at bedtime last night and had a fasting reading of 113. My OB says that the placenta is just tired and no longer functioning well. It has gotten more and more difficult with each pregnancy to control the GD...very tired and ready to be done!

Looking forward to sharing our baby boy's arrival with you all!

Val

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 4:55am

Hurrah Val! Thursday will be here before you know it! It's almost 5 am and I am about to leave for the hospital for me section. I don't care for these 5:30 am arrival times! But by 8 am I should be holding my baby.

I hope things go wonderfully for you on Thursday. I will be back home on Saturday and will check to see how it went (if you can post from the hospital). I don't have any internet access until I get home.

Anyway lots of prayers and positive thoughts coming your way for an uneventful delivery and quick recovery!

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 9:15am
OMG, Val, just two more days!!! I'm so excited to hear your birth story and see pics of your newest family addition! As far as the fasting BG of 113, honestly, that's not high at all!!! I've had sugars in the 300's -- both fasting and non-fasting. If all my sugars were 113 all the time, I'd be perfectly happy! Only 1 more day to worry about diet and BG's then you'll hopefully be able to resume your usual diet and go off the Glyburide. I'll be thinking of you and anxiously awaiting your announcement! Best wishes to you.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 9:43am

Joan,

I have to agree with you 100%!

Fire Hubby says that he often sees blood sugar readings well into the 4 and 500s of uncontrolled Type 1 or Type 2 diabetics! He feels that the parameters for the blood sugar levels while pregnant are pretty strict and also told me not to get too worked up over the 113.

My father (who truly has no idea what he's talking about...he has heart disease and they've force him to see the nutritionist who has briefly explained the link between that and diabetes) also thinks that a blood sugar reading under 90 for fasting can be difficult to maintain. I'm not sure if that is normal or not for all folks...if they're pancreas/insulin works properly, but achieving lower than 90 towards the end here was impossible without Glyburide.

I am soooooo looking forward to fruit juice...especially the little apple juice cups in the hospital. Fruit juice was an absolute no-no and these past few days I've been craving OJ/Apple/Grape juice like crazy! It's all psychological! LOL

I've had a few days where after I have a high fasting like that it seems the rest of the day goes poorly. Sunday's an example where like 3-hours after eating my BG was still 143.

Numbers like 185, 176 really make me feel yucky. Chris says it's b/c my body isn't used to sugar readings that high...so I guess that's a good sign that maybe I'll return to normal after we get this placenta out! HA! I am going to fill my testing strips one more time and be pretty diligent about checking my fasting and a few times a day for several weeks after delivery just to make sure all is back to normal.

I read that GD moms have a 60-80% chance of becoming Type 2 diabetics. With my grandmother and uncle as Type 2 diabetics, and my father with heart disease (related to them) I probably have a good chance of becoming Type 2 if I don't maintain proper diet and exercise!!!

Take care and I'll be posting about baby's arrival soon!

Val

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 2:16pm

Val - your hubby's absolutely right about why you feel icky when your sugar is even just marginally high (I think 143 is just marginally high) -- it's because your body isn't use to the higher sugars. And yes, that's a very good thing! Yes, I've heard the same thing you heard about women with GD diabetes being at greater risk for developing Type 2 later on. A healthy diet can help counter that risk so maybe there's an incentive to continue eating healthfully. : )

Guess what....I think I'm pregnant. I haven't announced anything yet on the board because I haven't POAS yet. I'm afraid to take the test because once the pregnancy is confirmed, I know I'll feel obligated to tell people; namely, my mother who I know WON'T be happy about it. :( I can't believe this...

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 7:08pm
Good luck on Thursday, Val. I have been following your story and am so happy to see you almost there. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 12:43pm

WHAT?!!!

OMG! Do you really think so?

I guess you could be with a 10-week old, but it must have JUST happened.

Why did I think you were done? (I get all the ladies confused from time to time...SORRY!)

What do you need from me...prayers? Besides "Mother" will you be happy? I think it's entirely okay if you're not. A) You know you eventually will be, and B) it's the same advice we all give everyone else.

You must be so tired right now!

Thinking of you,
Val

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 2:59pm

I'm excited to hear your announcement tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you!

I'm not sure what I feel. Honestly, money is my biggest concern. Being a SAHM with three children is a big nut to cover; add a fourth and, well... Plus, I can't help but wonder how we'll pay for college for FOUR children. And what about weddings? And retirement?

You thought I was done because I thought I was done, LOL. My tubal ligation is scheduled for Oct 1 (is/was a 5 - 6 month wait). But since I've been breastfeeding, I figured we were safe... If I knew money wasn't an issue, I'd be thrilled. But for now, I'm just in shock...

Be well and update us as soon as you can tomorrow!!! Yippee, only one more day!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket