11 lbs or c-sec elective?

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
11 lbs or c-sec elective?
15
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 8:26am

Yesterday my baby was estimated to be 9 lbs 1 oz, or more than 10.5 lbs by my due date, just slightly under the 11 lb (5000) gram mark by my due date for my doc to medically recommend scheduling a c-section for a week earlier. So now the ball's entirely in my court, he's leaving it up to me what to do, whether to attempt a vaginal delivery, possibly even as late as 40 wks and 1 day, or whether to schedule an elective c-section for sometime at 39 weeks or after.

I need to also find out if my insurance would give me a hard time covering a scheduled c-section termed as "elective." I can't believe a 10.5+ lb baby would be considered as elective c-section, and that, with the hugeness of my belly and baby, I'm actually here considering possibly carrying him nearly another three weeks, when I could end up with an emergency c-sec anyway. Of course, that's always a possibility, even with an average size baby (7.5 lbs), but I think a full three lbs above average sounds like a good reason for a scheduled c-sec. It's not necessarily concern for myself (I'll have an epidural either way, with a baby this size), but for possible complications for the baby.

Now I'm beginning to beg the baby to come on out in the next week or so, when he's still likely to be under 10 lbs.

Photobucket


Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-15-2005
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 10:05am

What about an induction at 38 weeks, Karen? Is that possible. I dunno. The thought of getting out such a big one is daunting, but if I could have the chance to attempt vaginally, I would. Lots of women have pushed out 11 pounders. My sister did a VBAC with a 10 pound baby -- and even she admits she is a wimp, lol.


I think as soon as a woman is over 40 they push c-sections a bit more than necessary, but that is just MHO. It is hard to believe that your insurance would call it elective -- my goodness. I think anything other than an emergency could be called elective then. Good luck to you. Go with your gut -- I am sure you will make the right decision for you.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-08-2009
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 12:35pm

Well, I'm gonna be a c-section mama 3X over...so you can probably figure out my position on this one!

I like the suggestion of a possible induction at 38-weeks, but I gotta tell ya...I tried an induction at full-term 40-weeks, (but as an attempted VBAC) and it did not work.

If the body is not ready to deliver, than inductions often fail. B/c Benjamin was "so big" (8 lbs 8 oz...sounds like nothin' compared to 10lbs 8 oz!!!) he would not drop down and my cervix had no change.

Since you would not be attempting a VBAC, but rather a 1st time delivery, it might work, but with him being so big, it might also fail.

I wonder...as the other commenter mentioned, if most medical personnel feel more comfortable suggestion c-sections to over 40-mothers, plus your diagnosis of the polyhydram...(sp) if you insurance would be fine with the scheduled c-section and see it more as a medical necessity than an elective surgery.

Keep us posted and let us know what you decide. As you mentioned in a previous post, perhaps nature will take it's own course sooner rather than later and you can attempt a vaginal birth. I imagine that with your size history, an "emergency" c-section wouldn't really be an emergency at all, but rather a "back-up" plan for you.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 6:53pm

I actually think the OB practice I'm with has been experiencing something of a backlash against overdoing c-sections, so right now they may be going in the opposite direction. My doctor seems like he's being more conservative about it than I expected. My bottom line it this, I'm probably willing to wait to go into labor (supposed to be better for the baby if you are actually in labor even if they do a c-sec right away) but then, if there are signs of complications for the baby, I would quickly encourage them to go with a c-sec and not insist on trying to labor.

Again, if I went into labor in the next week or so, I'd be more inclined to try to shoot for a vaginal birth. I'm playing it by ear for now and seeing how things go in the next week.

On the subject of inductions with Pitocin (sp?), aren't they often incredibly painful, sometimes even more so than an unmedicated natural birth?

Photobucket


iVillage Member
Registered: 07-20-2008
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 10:19pm

What a tough position to be in!

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 5:10pm

My main dilemma is that some of the risks associated with c-section are more prevalent with emergency c-sections, rather than scheduled ones, and with a baby this big the possibility of an emergency one seems higher. I would be more inclined to do a trial of labor if I went into labor in the next week or so, if I go into two weeks beyond that, I would start to get nervous, and if I actually go overdue at this point (hard for me to believe that's even a possibility), he would then hit that estimated 11 lb mark.

At the same time, it is supposed to be better for the baby if you actually go into labor, especially before 39 weeks, even if a c-sec is planned. Just not sure what to do, other than continuing to ask him to come out in the next week (as if he has much choice in this matter either!).

Photobucket


Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 12:34pm

That's a really tough decision.

Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 12:40pm

I wanted to add that I found an article that you might find useful:


Big baby: Is induction of labor necessary?


I hope it helps!

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 5:41pm

Melissa,

I do think the sizing is probably fairly accurate in my case, maybe off by an ounce or two but nothing like a full lb. That's mainly because of the immense size and firmness of my belly and the feeling (from the outside) that the baby's beginning to get crowded in there. I am more likely to go with scheduling a c-section closer to my delivery date (how does Friday the 13th sound?) than induced labor a week or two early. But I would want to at least do a trial of labor if he decides to come on his own in the next week or so (he's riding so low now I think that's a real possibility). From what I've heard, induction raises the risk of emergency c-section anyway, and an emergency c-section where the baby is in distress after a difficult labor is what i hope to avoid. Because I think for various reasons my chance of a c-section is already above average, I'd rather play it safe by scheduling one and being prepared to move to that as a B plan if I go into labor sooner and a trial of labor doesn't appear to be progressing sufficiently.

Anyway, I clarified my question about insurance, and it seems I won't be left with a surprise bill at the end no matter which way I end up going.

Thanks, I'll check out the c-sec board.

Photobucket


Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 5:54pm

I think you are making the right decision then.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2010
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 11:40pm

But now I just have to convince my doc to come in for me on his day off (Friday the 13th). A twin c-sec is already booked for Monday the 16th, so I probably couldn't get in that day and that would put me into the middle of the next week and past due. Again, I think chances are at least 50/50 that I'll find myself in labor before the 13th and may want to try to see if I can push him out, in which case I have no idea what time of day or night that might occur, but hope not to face an emergency in the middle of the night.

Anyway, thanks for the referral to the c-sec board. Lots of useful info there.




Edited 7/30/2010 11:42 pm ET by karen2010
Photobucket


Pages