UTI - anyone have or had one?

iVillage Member
UTI - anyone have or had one?
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 2:54pm

I was surprised to get a call from the dr's office today telling me I have a bladder infection.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 5:37pm
UTIs are surprisingly common during PG. I had one at the very beginning of my pregnancy -- that was quickly followed by strep throat. Anyway, I think being PG, besides lowering your immunity, also changes the PH of your vagina/urinary tract, making you more prone to UTIs. I would make sure to drink a lot of water and a little cranberry juice each day.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 10:04pm

Hi Melinda -

Yes, I have had UTIs from time to time and YOUCH they are not fun. (Sorry TMI) The best preventative I can add is to try to urinate a little after sex. Urine will help push bacteria out of the tract and keep it clean...even if it only a trickle. I also drink H2O with a splash of cranberry juice just to keep things in the clear. Also, it seems once you get a UTI you have a greater chance of getting them again in the future.

Hope this helps!

baby development
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 10:57pm

Thank you both for your replies.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 12:33pm

I had a UTI in early pregnancy, discovered at less than 5 weeks and treated with antibiotics. I agree, the risks of letting it go untreated seemed to outweigh the risks of taking an antibiotic in early pregnancy. Anyway, as the pp said, UTI's are fairly common during pregnancy, but my experience was that there have been no apparent negative effects on my baby from taking the antibiotic to treat it.

Photobucket