1.5 lbs in one week!

iVillage Member
1.5 lbs in one week!
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 12:54am

Wow-- I guess the breastfeeding has been going better since the first couple days. My battle lately has been with over-active letdown, but there are worse things to deal with. After dropping to 8.5 lbs in the week after his birth, today my (not so) little Matie showed a 1.5 lb weight gain since last week. He's now 10 lbs 2 ozs-- more than a lb above his birth weight! Very healthy and strong too, according to the pediatrician.

And just who says we women over 40 can't make healthy babies?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 5:25pm

He gained that much from nursing alone-- so much for you MIL's theory. But again, I actually have fast letdown, so he's sometimes getting a lot very quickly, but still wants to keep sucking for comfort purposes, and then ends up getting more than his belly can handle and spitting up. For that reason, I may be introducing a pacifier soon, if I can get the lactation consultant to sign off on it. If he shows another similar weight gain when it's checked again next week, I will definitely ask about it. I don't want to over-rely on a pacifier or cause "nipple confusion," but I think we have the BFing pretty well established now, and again, sometimes I think he just needs to suck more but isn't actually hungry, but I don't have an off switch to keep him from getting more milk than he needs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited 8/31/2010 5:34 pm ET by karen2010
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 1:40pm

Karen...that is incredible!!! Good for you!

I'm still not sure that Luke is at birth weight! LOL I think we should be...at his 3-week weight-check appt. he was still 2 oz from birth weight! Sheesh! I need your secret! LOL

Actually, all of my babies have been skinny and are still healthy. Of course my MIL thinks I starve them b/c I nurse instead of formula, but aside from her, everyone else, pediatrician including, knows they are healthy babies!

We have our 1-month check up this Thursday, Sept. 2...he's just gotta be over 9 lbs by now!

So good to hear that all is going well for you!

Val

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 11:10am

Good to hear he's gaining now. It's funny, though, my little guy is not so long (except that he does have my long fingers), but is looking rounder by the day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-29-2010 - 7:43pm
Declan gained 1 lb, 6 oz in the last 2 weeks, so we are doing okay. I was relieved. He just has these really long skinny arms and long legs so I think he looks skinnier than he really is.

Carol, mom to 7PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 12:11pm
Glad to hear your happy news, Karen!
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 9:31am

Since it's been a month, you're very likely to see significant weight gain. Let us know how it goes/went.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 4:41pm
Great news Karen! Declan has his 1 month visit tomorrow and I am hoping he has gained well. He dropped from 9 lbs, 1 oz to 8 lbs when he left the hospital (at 5 days old). He was only back up to 8lbs, 5 oz at 2 weeks. All my other babies gained weight quickly, so I am a bit concerned. Hoping I get good news tomorrow!

Carol, mom to 7PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 12:22pm
Excellent work, Mom. Glad it is all going so well for you and baby, Karen.

Photobucket
Photobucket