Burping up milk

iVillage Member
Burping up milk
Sat, 10-04-2008 - 5:08am

DS is 3 weeks old and has been burping up an awful lot of milk ever since day 1. He drinks, vast quantities come up (even when I have successfully burped him) and the wants to drink again. I know he's getting enough since he's already added a kilo to his birthweight. I asked the doctor if this is ok and she said it was nothing to worry about for now. DD never brought up any of her food, so this is new to me. A friend told me boys burp up more than girls because often the muscle at the entrance to the stomach is less-well formed at birth.

At my post-natal yoga class last night one of the other mothers told me that her baby son does the same as mine and that her doctor had told her of new research that had found a correlation between newborns sending up milk and asthma, ear infections and allergies later on. She said she was going to be giving her baby medicine to stop the burping up.

Do any of you have experience with this or have any ideas on whether or not this could be a problem? I prefer not to give a baby medicine if not absolutely necessary...

Torielle

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-11-2008 - 10:19am

Hi Torielle,

Thought Id drop a little note. I went thru the same thing with Kimberlee. She would spit back up after feeding. My doctor recommended to me to feed her upright and also even though sometimes difficult burp her more frequently. Since I am bottle feeding It was suggested after each ounce and that helped her to spit up less. Now shes 4 mos old and its slowing up even though she still does a little..
It will get better in time and Laundry will lesson..

SUsan

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2008 - 10:13am

Thanks Dyan, that's very encouraging. Well, maybe not VERY - how long did they go on doing this?!

Torielle

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2008 - 10:11am

Amazingly, i did have the time to skim-read these articles. I wonder to what extent, though the babies concerned were not already pre-disposed to allergies and ear infections? Obviously burbing up milk is going to keep the airways, etc humid and this would exacerbate any infections or latent allergies...maybe i am being over-optimistic. I would be interested in anything you DH finds too...

I, too, have to change my clothes, including underwear, about 3 times per day...usually without the time to take a shower in between outfits! i am terrified that baby, i and maybe the whole house smells of old milk!!

Thanks for finding all of this out for me. I have saved the sites and will study them again if the problem persists.

Torielle

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2008 - 10:00am

And such a laundry problem it is! His clothes, my clothes, towels, blankets, my bed!...but I am happy to report that when I feed Tom upright as you suggest, less comes up. Also, my midwife suggested to me that maybe my milk is just flowing too fast, so I try to give him breaks. We rarely get the curds - it's just undigested milk that comes straight up again.

What does zantac do? I dont think Tom is in pain, although he does cry sometimes after a feed, maybe it's just immature muscles as you say...

I feel for your sorrow about having to give up bf, but as a friend of mine who had a baby recently and also had to give up after a longfight to keep going commented:

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2008 - 1:45am

HI HI, great idea on the board!

Anyway just so you know, all of my first 4 bio kids puked up vast quantities of milk, heck they shot that crap across the room, and none of them ever had major ear infections or asthma or any real illnesses at all, in fact I have more perfect attendance pencils from school then I know what to do with. My kids fake sick just to say home. I wouldnt worry about it really, if the child is gaining weight and active and growing and your doc isnt concerned I wouldnt worry about it. Just keep up what your doing and dont wear anything nice when feeding or burping.

Good luck
Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2008 - 5:20am

Hi Rachelle,

I just wanted to say that I am sorry you and Esai have

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2008 - 5:03am
Hi Torielle,

I didn't wait for DH

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-04-2008 - 7:30pm

Hi Torielle,

Jeffrey spent his first year spitting up pretty much constantly.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-04-2008 - 10:18am

Post-natal yoga!