Sleeping on stomach & crib problems

iVillage Member
Sleeping on stomach & crib problems
Wed, 10-08-2008 - 3:37pm

1st question:

Ok, so I know you are always suppose to put your baby on their back to sleep. However, my 5 month old keeps rolling to her stomach at night to sleep. Every time I see on the monitor that she has once again rolled over, I go back in to roll her back onto her back. She has learn to roll from her back to her stomach, but can't roll back onto her back...even tho that was the very first thing she did at 4 months old and hasn't done it since then.

My other 3 children (ages 22, 20 and 13) were pre-back stage and you were suppose to lay the baby on their belly to sleep back when I had them. So, that tells me not to worry too much but still I do.

Does anyone else have these problems and what do you do?

2nd question:

Since my baby keeps rolling to her stomach...she manages to get her feet, arms and legs stuck between the bed rails. She will scream to no end because it prohibits her from moving. Some times this happens 3 or 4 times a night. It's getting very aggrevating and I'm not sure what to do short of putting her in a box to sleep. lol (just kidding)

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-09-2008 - 10:03am

Hi,

I'm certainly no expert but here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-09-2008 - 2:17pm

The mesh netting may be something I'm going to have to look into. I had the bumpers on the bed and secured tightly, but from all the things that I've read, you are not suppose to use the bumpers in the beds anymore either because the baby can get trapped under them or behind them. Yes, that happened to my baby several times and I pulled them out for good.

I'm thinking the swing is about done as well if she keeps doing the leaning thing and wanting to get out.

Sakari at 1 month old:

sakari small

Sakari at 2 months old

Photobucket

2 months old

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-10-2008 - 6:50am

Yes, the "getting stuck under" thing is a concern with the bumpers.

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 10:42pm

you know, I have children many ages, and lets see, I have kids that I was supposed to put on their bellies and I have kids that I was supposed to put on their sides and I have a child who was supposed to sleep on his back.

once a baby can roll and move, its time to stop worrying about how they sleep, just keep the crib free of things they can suffocate on, like pillows and heavy stuffed animals, but most likely if they can roll then they can lift their head too.

and im sure they make stuff to keep the arms and legs in the crib.

Good luck

Dyan

baby development