Due Date Today...But I have a 1-week old

iVillage Member
Due Date Today...But I have a 1-week old
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 1:25pm

Was popping in to see how everyone is doing and saw on my baby ticker that Luke was due to arrive today. Instead I have a 1-week, 1-day old baby that is such a blessing!

Was so excited to read about Evan and Declan's arrivals. Now, I think all we are waiting on is Karen!!!

Luke had a small nursing setback after his circumcision. Benjamin did the same thing...just too tired or in too much pain to eat. Anyway, I stuck with it, even though the nursing staff was just insistent that we support him with formula supplementation. He had one or two formula bottles in the nursery, but I refused to be the one to give him formula as I didn't want him to associate it with me...he was already struggling enough with latching on.

I knew that once I got home to the quiet, solitude of home (even with preschoolers!) that Luke would figure it out and he did!

He did lose more than 10% of his weight in the hospital...in fact his discharge weight was 7 lbs 11 oz from a birth weight of 8 lbs 12.5 ounces.

We had our one week check up on Wednesday with the pediatrician and guess what...after being home only 3 days from discharge, Luke was back up to 8 lbs! So proud of myself for sticking with it and not letting the L&D nurses pressure me into strict formula feeding. We are only breastfeeding and he is back to the nursing champ he was before the circ.

Got Mary Catherine enrolled in Kindergarten yesterday and the day before that we celebrated her 6th birthday! I've been a bit overwhelmed lately with "other" family events, but not by baby Luke!

Hope all our new mommies are doing well!

Luv,
val

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 6:16pm

Oh, Val, your family is beautiful! Are you sure you just had a baby a week ago???? You look too darn good for having just had a baby, woman!

Way to go with the breastfeeding! The day after we brought Joey home, we took him to the ER after I noticed what I thought was blood in his diaper. It looked as though he was peeing blood. And, he cried much of the day and evening that day, too. As it turns out, it wasn't blood, just very, very concentrated urine. The poor little guy was dehydrated and HUNGRY! The doc urged me to give him a bottle of formula which I was so against doing; however, after seeing how happy and calm the little guy became, I was relieved yet guilt-ridden knowing that I was starving my poor baby (my milk hadn't come in yet). So for the next two days until my milk came in, he got one formula bottle a day. Since then, he's been on nothing by BM so I'm pleased with how it all turned out. Until all this happened, I was sooooooo not a fan of formula. But I now admit that I'm so very thankful for it. Funny how one's outlook can change in an instant...

Anyway, thanks so much for posting a pic! Luke is handsome and your family is absolutely lovely. Take care and be well!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 8:56am

Val,

What a cute little munchkin, and yes, you really do look great. Sorry to hear about the slight nursing setback, but way to go on how you handled it-- think I'd try to approach it the same way if I face that situation.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 12:12pm

Congratulations on your new little boy.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 10:58am
Val, you have a gorgeous family...you've done well. And congrats for surviving the nursing setback -- baby looks like he is very healthy and content.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 9:07am

Val,
Your family is beautiful! You look awesome and your daughter looks just like her pretty momma! Glad to hear things are going well. Here we are more than 2 weeks into the new baby routine. My MIL was here last week and my DH was home the week before that, so today is my reality day. On my own w/ the 7 kids. It's only 9 am, but so far, so good.

Declan lost a lot of weight at first too, but he is steadily gaining. Glad to hear the nursing is going well for you.

Carol, mom to 7PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7