Introducing baby Mateo

iVillage Member
Introducing baby Mateo
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 1:38am

I am in utter bliss lying here watching my baby boy. He came into the world at 11:36 a.m., weighing 9 lbs 1 oz, 21 inches long, and screaming his little lungs out. Although he wasn't quite as big as estimated, he's plenty sturdy and healthy, and he had curled himself up in the upper part of my uterus, so trying to push him out would have been problematic. "He was nowhere near your pelvis" is what my doctor said with the midwife who had assisted him listening on.

I pulled a major boo-boo the night before delivery. With my appointment scheduled for 8 a.m., I didn't eat before bed at midnight, but half asleep, I woke up at 3 a.m., as I'd done several other times the past week and trudged sleepily to the kitchen, cut up a few pieces of cheese and stuck them on a small piece or bread. As I popped the last bite in my mouth, I suddenly realized what night and time it was. I showed up at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. but once I had told staff I had eaten at 3 a.m. they decided to delay me for three more hours till 11.

Thirty-five minutes later, with my mother holding my hand, I started crying after I was told I was about to meet my baby boy. I cried tears of joy as I heard him start to scream, and my mother and I both started crying even harder and I just kept repeating "Oh my God, Oh my God" when we saw him. He was brought over to me and, still crying, I kissed him several times on his chin and stroked his face for a few minutes. He instantly stopped crying when they brought him to me. Then he was taken up to be examined by the pediatrician while I was wheeled into recovery. An hour or so later (had to wait for the spinal to wear off), he came back to me accompanied by my parents, who had gone upstairs with him. He was sucking his little fingers and hands and quickly found his way to begin nursing.

He hasn't been quite so steady with the nursing since the first time, but we're working at it, and once I start sitting up tomorrow that should help. He loves being held and cuddling up with mama, so I'm confident we'll be able to get things rolling.

Pics attached. His coloring is quite a bit darker than mine from his paternal side. Check out that head of hair!

Edited 8/11/2010 1:53 am ET by karen2010

Edited 8/12/2010 9:19 am ET by karen2010
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 7:13pm

Many congratulations Karen!! He's totally adorable!! Wishing you lots of happy times with him.

Molly

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 7:27pm

He's now over this morning's procedure and nursing like a champ now!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 8:20am

Had to share this pic of my mom with her new grandson-- too cute. Pic of me with him to come.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 8:42am
Karen, Mateo is just beautiful! Love the pictures of him with your mom. I think I already told you on the August Peas, but congratulations! He was the same exact size as Declan. Glad to hear the nursing is going well. Sounds like you had a wonderful birth. So happy for you.

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 9:43am
What great photos! Great memories, for sure!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 5:33pm

He's adorable!!

And yep, those ultrasounds are never that accurate. Every time I've seen an 11 lbs. baby predicted, it's not ever that big.

Mine was predicted to be 14 lbs. and barely hit 12.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 9:51pm

Okay, I am MAJORLY late to the PARTY!!!

Congrats, Karen!!! Baby Mateo is absolutely adorable...just precious! I especially love his hair. All of my kiddos have been as bald as a cue ball! LOL His coloring is beautiful and you know he knows his mama!!!

I've been horrible about checking in as it seems my hands are much fuller than I expected...or maybe b/c Luke is almost one month old and much more awake (read alert, crying, loving on me, etc.) than in previous days.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how very happy I am for you. Hope all is going well!

Val

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 8:45am

Hey Val,

I was starting to wonder about all the sleep I've been getting lately. No sleep deprivation here yet-- I'm getting about 8 hours a night, more than I did during my pregnancy. But I had wondered if that would change as he moves out of the newborn stage, and it seems that's likely. I love this stage of him just cuddling and cooing most of the time, but am also looking forward to him connecting more, showing increased alertness and facial expressions. Guess I better take advantage of this extra sleep while I can!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages