Recovery Slower than I Expected

iVillage Member
Recovery Slower than I Expected
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 1:52pm

Hello Everyone!

Sorry that I have been remiss in posting, but my recovery is going a bit slower than I expected.

No major complications, but a few minor ones.

C-section incision healed nicely. Fortunately, no problems there.

Abdominal muscles seem very weak and still very tender. OB thinks that this is a result of several things...
1st...it was my 3rd c-section. Recovery just takes a bit more time.
2nd...I had a tubal which can complicate the recovery time. Not really noticeable on the outside, but tender on the inside.
3rd...I'm the mom to 2 active school-agers and 1 infant...no napping, etc.

Also, I developed an infection that required a vaginal suppository antibiotic (since I'm nursing) to clear up. Yuck! Just what a c-section/nursing mama wants to deal with on top of everything else. The infection seemed to clear up quickly with the meds, but what.a.pain!

Finally, I was considered "moderately" anemic...not just "slightly" like in past deliveries so I need to take the iron supplement on top of the prenatal. Well, I'm sure you can imagine where that road led...severe constipation, which lead to straining which lead to the dreaded "h" word! Trying to drink more water and eat more fiber to get my system back in sync.

Needless to say, I'm an exhausted mess!

On a much more positive note...Mary Catherine is loving Kindergarten and Benjamin is loving preschool. Neither kiddo shed tears on their first day or week which I take as a sign that they were ready for school and secure in themselves that I would return! LOL

Luke is doing well! He is another skinny baby...like my 1st two, but is healthy and thriving.

Hoping that by 6-weeks, I'm feeling more like my old self. I sometimes need to check myself and remind myself that it's only been 4-weeks and a few days since delivery. Probably need to cut myself some slack! LOL

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Val

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 1:58am

I found that floradix iron did not constipate whatsoever, and can be bought in liquid or pill form. It also raised my iron count faster than the pills I started on.

So there's some help with preventing constipation and hemmorhoids. I found the floradix plus herbs iron supplement online, as well as in a health food store.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 3:35pm

Val,

So sorry your recovery is taking longer than expected/hoped for. I am also somewhat anemic and taking iron supplements, but once I got home from the hospital, the constipation and the hemorrhoids cleared up. The only thing taking slightly longer than I expected is for my belly to shrink back down-- that's happening very gradually. And I have had a resurgence in sciatic pain, which I also had for a time during my pregnancy. Other than that, my recovery has been quicker than I expected, but, again, this was my first time, and you have a few other issues going on that I don't. Hoping your recovery speeds up from here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 1:31pm
I'm sorry that you are still feeling bad, Val.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 10:17pm

Sorry to hear of your setbacks, but like you said, please give yourself sufficient time to heal. I delivered Joey vaginally and I was pushing seven weeks postpartum before my body even STARTED to go back to "normal". I lost most of the 75 lbs I gained but I've been holding steady with the last 14 to lose for two weeks now. Ugh.

I'm delighted to hear Mary Catherine and Ben went to school so willingly! Lilah starts 1st grade next Tuesday and is already upset about having to go back to school (never mind that for the past two weeks, every day by 9:30 a.m. she whines, moans, and complains about how bored she is!). I always told myself I would never be one of "those" moms who wished for school to start. But I must admit, I'm really looking forward to it. I know I'll still be sad to see my little girl get on the bus everyday, but I really need a break from feeding, cleaning up after, chasing, and correcting three young children every day and every night, lol! I'm sure that has something to do with your slower-than-expected recovery. ; )

Hang in there and be patient. I'm glad to hear your infection healed quickly; hopefully the increased fluids and fibre will help with your other ailment (iron supplements did that to me, too). Take care and best wishes to you, mama.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 3:38pm

Val, Well NO WONDER! You sure have a full plate...kind of like I am going to have, lol. I think you are doing very well, all things considered. I have read in a few places that recovery from all births tends to get more difficult the more kids you have, esp with C-sections. I'm glad that your little Luke is thriving. I am sure once the first six weeks flies by (and it will fly) you will feel much better. Spend some time soaking inthe tub when Luke naps and kids are at school...sometimes forcing yourself to relax is a big help.

take care of yourself and hang in there.

Photobucket