Thanks! Luke Update!

iVillage Member
Thanks! Luke Update!
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 3:13pm

Thanks ladies, for all of your kind comments regarding my recovery. Feeling a little bit better as each week passes. Hard to believe Luke is 5-weeks old today. My how time flies.

Yesterday, we had Luke's 1-month check up. Here's our stats:

Weight: 9 lbs 2 oz (48th %)

Length: 23 inches (90th %)

He's long and skinny...just like Benjamin! I was worried that the pediatrician was going to be upset that he was only 9 lbs, but she (not our regular guy) thought he was doing great since he lost so much in the hospital.

Here's the icky part...she had to "fix" Luke's circumcision. At 2-weeks, his pediatrician mentioned that he thought he might need to take a closer look at it, but I think he left it alone b/c we were focusing on feeding issues.

Well, Dr. V mentions how it looks during the appt. and sort of pulls back on the skin. She then exits the exam room. I'm thinking we're done and she's getting my check-out sheet...nope. She returns with scalpel-like instruments, gauze, vaseline and surgical gloves. I almost fainted.

She asked me to hold his little legs while he pathetically screamed...it was horrid and this isn't my first time around the block with circumcision! Oy!

So now little man is on an oral antibiotic for 5 days to prevent infection from this "in-office" surgical procedure!!! Plus, Dr. V said she didn't think this was going to work and that he would probably need to be referred to a surgeon around 6-months. I told Chris that we might be better off leaving well enough alone!

I asked if there was anything I could have done differently and she said no. It was more the result of not taking enough off than me not cleaning/protecting the area. She said that the physician often errs on the side of not taking enough off rather than too much. Good grief...I've heard of stories where circumcisions go horribly wrong. I'm serious about not having any follow-up surgery done. Circumcision is actually on the decline in this country and I can see why!

So, hoping that he heals up from this unexpected complication and that he wasn't in too much pain yesterday! :(

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 4:23pm
CUTE or what? He is just adorable and looks very happy and healthy. I love how you put the card with age and date beside the photo. That's a great idea -- the date the camera prints on is not always visible or correct.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 7:57am

I'm glad to hear that Luke is doing so well. He is so cute!

Sorry that the nurse had you hold Luke's legs during his procedure. I've had nurses ask me to do that for shots. Don't they realize that our Mom DNA runs deep and all we want to do is protect our children from harm? Get a nurse in there to hold the baby. Oy.

Renee, 43, EDD 03/05/11

baby development
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-05-2010 - 7:28pm

What a little sweetie! So glad you're feeling better, but sorry to hear about Luke's circ complication, poor little guy (hearing this I think I'm going to double-check the job done on my Matie, though I haven't noticed anything looking wrong).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 9:54pm
He's quite handsome, Val! And he looks so alert for just a month old. I hope he suffers no pain from the dr.'s fix to his procedure; the poor little guy. :( I hope you're getting back to normal, too. Take care and best wishes to you. Thanks for posting pics and giving us an update on your little guy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 6:20am
Oh dear, poor little fella! I hope he heals quickly!!