it's a

iVillage Member
it's a
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 12:32am

GIRL!

hi ladies,
i know i dropped off this board sometime in my first trimester, but i hope some of you remember me. there are so many people on this board (via the TTCAM board which i was on for 2 years) who helped me through some dark days, i wanted to share some of my happier days and thank everyone for their support.

3 years after i started my ttc journey, my little girl, asha, was born early sunday morning on feb 28, 2010 at 2:28am weighing in at 6lbs 6oz and 19" with a full head of hair.

i was induced two weeks early due to decreasing amniotic fluid and low fetal weight. i was only given 2 days notice and spent the better half of those two days sewing curtains in the bedroom (mommy-me laughs at pregnant-me) because somehow, that seemed really really important at the time.

i went into the hospital thinking i would try to have a natural birth, to "wipe away" the pain of having a natural miscarriage but after they broke my water and i was induced, the back labor started and i called for an epidural, STAT!

i happily napped for 2 hours while i dilated 4 to 10 cm in 2 hours, i needed the energy to win the pushing competition (but i'm getting ahead of myself).

once i was was fully dilated, asha hadn't quite made it down low enough and she was face up. the dr insisted i needed to have an emergency c section because asha kept turning face up even after repeated attempts to turn her to the side. somehow in my head, it made sense that if i turned on my side, maybe asha would turn to face up again but her face up would now be to my side and thus, the correct position. see how smart i am?

would you believe it actually worked! they should name that the RUTHIE MANEUVER! but alas, the doctor took credit, "i had her lay on her side so the baby would turn to face up and be in the right direction." but, i won't argue tooo much, because i went home with a baby and she just... went home.

anyway, 10 hours after they broke my water, with classical music playing in the background and a lot of throwing up (this, i had become a pro at during my first trimester), the delivery part began. thankfully, because i was able to rest through much of my dilation, i had the strength to push asha out faster then the lady next door (cuz, nothing like a healthy competition to get things going). with my DH lovingly screaming "push, push, push" in my ear, spitting on me with each scream and pushing my shoulders down instead of pushing my head forward (try it, you'll see how that has the opposite effect) and me CONVINCED my eyes were going to pop out of my head, i pushed my little girl out in a half hour and won the competition and the best prize of all.

if you got this far, thanks for reading and thanks to everyone for all the support and love throughout my ttc journey. i'm so glad i didn't give up, you're all right -- it is TOTALLY worth it!!!

i am so in love.

xoxoxox
ruthie

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: chuggingalong
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 1:06pm

Oh Ruthie, congrats on your baby girl Asha!
You are right, she is DEFINITELY the "best prize of all", and worth every minute of pain and worry and waiting!
I hope you love being a new mommy, and that you and DH are adjusting well to the new role of parenthood.

Congrats again :)

Nicole

PhotobucketPhotobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 4:55pm

Ruthie! I loved reading your birth story! Sooo cute!!!

congrats on your stunning little girl Asha
She def is the best prize ever!

Photobucket
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 8:57pm

Congratulations Ruthie!! Thanks for sharing your story... I am going to remember the Ruthie Maneuver... in case this one decides to try to come out "sunny side up" like my last one did!

~Michelle

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 11:35pm
Ruthie, I'm so glad you updated us. Asha is just gorgeous! Congrats mama!
Photobucket
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 6:19am

Of course I remember you, and CONGRATS, darlin.

I cannot believe your OB said you were going to need an emergency C just b/c she was face up. Nellie was face up, and my doc just used the vaccuum assist thing to suck her out, LOL. I also tried the 'Ruthie Maneuver' by rolling from side to side and it never did work. My little booger was born face up.

Congratulations again!!! So happy for you!

Visit my blog Mommy Boots:
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 4:29pm
Oh Ruthie! She's beautiful! Welcome to the world Asha!!!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 5:22pm

Congrats on your little girl!! She is so cute!

Fell free to come over and join us at the PAL Playgroup if you want...
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-pppalplay

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 11:29pm
oh Ruthie congrats on your little girl !!!!! I am so happy for you !!! I opted for the epi too lol

PCOS, Insulin Resistance, MTHFR, APS (Hughes Syndrome) and a Mullerian Anomaly  (bicornuate uteru

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:01pm

Congratulations Ruthie

Your little princess is just too adorable. Glad to hear that mom and baby are doing well.

Enjoy your little one.

Deb

For Ivillage

My Miracle Baby ar
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 2:10pm

CONGRATULATIONS Ruthie!! OMG that was one of best birth stories I've read! The "Ruthie Manauver" just craked me up! Baby Asha is gorgeous and I'm so happy that both of you are doing fine.

Happy birth day Baby Asha!!

-- Laura

Tinkerbell

Pregnancy Ticker

-- Laura

Tinkerbell

Pages