It's a...

iVillage Member
It's a...
Sat, 08-14-2010 - 10:26pm

So... after talking about setting up my induction for Sunday night, the doctor called and they couldn't fit me in until Monday night. Then Friday afternoon she called and said we could do it Monday morning, 8am.

I was really nervous all weekend, wondering if Baby wouldn't be ready, and if I should wait til 41 weeks before doing the induction (I was 40w4d on Monday).. I worried about all this silly stuff, too like that we would be late (we were), or go to the wrong building (we did), or that I had the wrong day, or not packed something I'd need... but finally we got into the room and I got the first cytotec (to ripen the cervix) around 9:40am.

We had to wait an hour, with Baby and I hooked up to the monitor, and then they sent us away and told us to come back at 1ish for the next "check" and probably for cytotec dose #2. So DH and I wandered/waddled around, ate lunch, and came back.

They put us in a room and hooked me up to a monitor. And I said, "DH, I'm actually starting to feel these contractions..." they were mild, but the first contractions I've ever felt that were not pitocin-induced. So FINALLY, at about 2:30, someone came to check me. Apparently they liked what they felt - I was actually starting to dilate - woohoo! - so they hooked me up to the pitocin.

We turned on the Red Sox game and I put up with the contractions for as long as I could - I'm a big wimp - and then I got the epidural. They did an EXCELLENT job with the epidural. It took the edge off, but I could still feel my legs and could tell when I was having a contraction (NOT the case with my previous delivery).

At some point (I have since forgotten) I actually felt my water break with a little "pop", which was totally cool.

Sometime between 6 and 7 I started to get really uncomfortable. We turned up the epidural a bit, but it didn't help much. I felt like I ought to be pushing. DH was like, "call the nurse and tell her that!!" - so I did, and sure enough, they were like, "yup - let's do this!" ... so I pushed for about a half hour. Again, let me reiterate, the epidural WAS PERFECT. I was in pain, it was not fun, but it was so rewarding to actually FEEL the baby making progress and at 7:32pm, we finally found out.... it's a BOY!

So Ethan Allen came on 8-9-10, all 9lbs 13oz and 21" of him. And I got to hold him while they stitched me up, and he looked at me the whole time.

It is so different having a full-term, large baby, as opposed to my 6lb 9oz 37-week baby. Ethan is alert so much more than my daughter was. He is also a hungry boy, so we were giving him some formula to keep him happy, but now that my milk is in, BF is going pretty well. I swore against co-sleeping with this one (we co-slept with DD), but somehow I am getting the feeling I'll be sleeping with him even sooner than we did with DD. It is just SO much easier with BF, plus he LOVES to be held.

So that's my birth story.. hopefully it's encouraging for anyone having an induction. It really was a great experience. I am so grateful that everything went well and that he is healthy.

~Michelle

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 7:49am

Congratulations Michelle!

What a great birth story!!! So glad that all went smoothly and that your baby is so healthy! Please KUP as things move forward and thanks for sharing. Any PAL success story makes us all feel better :)

Jen--

Pregnant after Valentine's Day loss

Photobucket

wedding ticker

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Jen--

Pregnant after Valentine's Day loss

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 8:55am
aww congrats on your little boy!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 4:17pm

Congrats!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 5:40pm
Michelle, thank you for sharing your birth story! I am so glad everything went well, and it sure sounds like your little boy was fully baked, so it's good you got induced. Enjoy your new little boy!

pregnancy week by week

Melissa - 38

DH - 38

DD - Almost 2!

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 10:28pm

Michelle, thanks for sharing! WHat a GREAT birth story! Congrats on your baby boy! I love his name, and how neat, that he even has a cool birthdate that youll never forget :) Good job pushing out such a big baby too, that is certainly a "huge" accomplishment! Congrats again.

--Nicole

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 10:55pm
CONGRATULATIONS

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 6:42am

yay Michelle! Congrats on your little boy and a great birth story! I am so happy it turned out like you wanted. 9 lbs! wow! So healthy. No need to worry that you didn't wait till 41 weeks - LOL. I have been checking every day to see your story and am so glad to hear the good news.

I remain, as always, pregnant but with hairy contractions that have no schedule whatsoever but keep me mostly at home near the birthing ball. Sigh.
Have fun with the new babe!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 1:42pm
Awww, thanks for sharing, Michelle. How exciting! Your little boy is here. I'm so jealous! I'm glad that everything went well (after the being late and getting lost part), and that the big guy is happy and healthy! Yay! Congratulations and enjoy!
Photobucket

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 6:13pm
Welcome Ethan! Congrats to you mama!
Photobucket
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Photobucket