P&PT Needed for a PAL Grad... ~m~

Avatar for janetbumbarger
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
P&PT Needed for a PAL Grad... ~m~
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:03am
Carrie (ckimel) sent me this email this morning - she is a PAL grad and she has set a lot of us up with our PAL Buddies....

I wanted to let everyone know where I have been. On Friday April 25th I was rushed to the ER because of extreme pain. They said that I was passing a kidney stone gave me heavy drugs then sent me home. They gave me a follow up appointment with my Dr on Monday. During the weekend I slept and kept well medicated and things got worse. By Monday I could not hold anything down and the heavy narcotics were not touching the pain. We left early that morning for the doctor as I could not stand the pain. My Dr said go back to the ER there was nothing that he could do so we did. They decided to give me a CT Scan and do a surgical counsult. Dave had the kids and they said he should go home I'd be ready after a few hours and he could come back then. He left. For some reason the surgeons thought it was my appendix and not a kidney stone. I called Dave as the sent me off to surgery. All went well they said when I woke up late Monday Evening. It was not my appendix but they took it out ! anyway. They sent me to the surgical recovery floor and there I was watched. A few hours later my fever went past 105.9 the took me to ICU. They called Dave and said I was fine they were just going to watch me very closely but I ended up crashing. I went septic and my blood pressure was gone and a long battle went on to save my life. They called Dave back and told him to come say good bye to his wife while he still could. I fought like crazy for my life thinking of my kids, and my family. I heard them call Dave they called him a second time and said HURRY. I kept thinking I cannot die this soon. They worked on me for hours and finally got a blood pressure reading an had dumped 17 plus liters into my body. I had iv's everywhere, central lines everything. I could hear all that was happening to me and all I could do was fight for my life. I was not going to give up. When they got me stable enough I finally got that CT Scan and it was my kidney. I had a stone that was 5mm ! and completely blocking my kidney. They put a tube into my kidney and pussed just oozed out. They had to put in a nafrostamy bag, a tube drains my kidney into a bag on back. I was sent back to icu for a few days where the battle to keep me alive went on. consultnally released yesterday and allowed to go home to heal. My white blood cell count is not what it should be but they are hoping that is is not the start of another infection. I still have the nafrostamy bag in my back and I am unsure when it will come out. I go back to the doctor next week. Keep us in your prayers and I will try to email when I can but I am still heavily medicated and have a lot of trouble just getting around. Love, Carrie and family

Avatar for the_pilots_wife_511
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 12:28pm
OMG Carrie, I'm so, so sorry. I had no idea and I'm so glad you are home and pray that you are on your way to recovery. This is so scary. I just don't know what to say.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love, Lynne

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 9:18pm

I am so sorry to hear of your ordeal! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you recover quickly and are feeling better soon.

I will be thinking of you!

Sandra and Katelyn (5/23/02)

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-21-2004
Sun, 01-25-2004 - 10:28am
Many prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery....you must have some guardian angel watching over you! Healing vibes coming your way!