New here with?

iVillage Member
New here with?
Mon, 09-15-2003 - 6:22pm
Hi! I just found out that I am pg again and I'd like to join you if I could :) I'm way nervous about signing in here because it's so early but I'm gonna do it anyway :)I have my first docs appt. next Wednesday. I was wondering if you ladies knew what I might want to ask for test wise? I have never had a beta drawn (is it called a beta?)- Should I ask to check progesterone levels? Should I see if I have a clotting probelm? I have been trying to do research but everything I have read says that the way my m/c happened (missed miscarriage at 10 weeks, found out b/c no hb at 12 wk appt.) means that it was most likely just bad luck and I have not found anything that tells me if I should ask for something different. Am I looking in the wrong place? What's making me mad too is I can't find what is in my prenates. I want to take my own vitamins but I don't want to be missing something important and I can't compare levels. Any idea about that? Anyway, My 1st appt is next Wednesday.... TIA ladies!! (((hugs)))

Sheryl and peanut EDD 5-25ish-04

iVillage Member
In reply to: sheranne77
Mon, 09-15-2003 - 11:07pm
I am so sorry for your loss honey...I know the heartbreak of getting up off the table and them then telling you all that..and bursting into tears...it is horrible..I had a missed miscarriage myself at almost 12 weeks...

Okay tests...first have them run a hcg quanitive..not quality...then yes I would definetly have a progesterone level done also....then go over the results with your doctor...if your hcg level doubles in 24 to 48 hours..I would say that is wonderful...if your progesterone level is below 16..tell him/her you want progesteron supplements..this can be pills, shots, or vaginal suppositories...but whatever you get..go back and get your levels checked again in a week..to make sure the supplement is working...

As far as pills...prenatals are important...if you have choices..then I would call a pharamacy and make sure the pharmacists says they are good vitamins..I took nanafort with all of mine...but a druggist can definetly answer any questions you have concerning prenatals..

hope this helps..

and most of all congratualtions..and welcome to this new chapter..it will be a great one I hope..

xxoo

Angelia

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 10:20pm
Angelia,

Thanks so much for your reply and the information. I will definately check one those two levels. I am so nervous I don't know what I am going to do with myself. It's taking all my willpower not to take another test just to be sure the line is the same darkness :) Thanks again, and if you have any advice on how not to freak out please share :) (((hugs)))

Sheryl

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 2:58pm
Don't worry freaking out is a normal reaction...most definetly..lol...the important thing is to stay calm...as much as you can...and try to enjoy it...it will get easier as the pg progresses...but I can say that I wiped everday looking for blood while in the bathroom..always wondering could it happen..until I gave birth...so it never goes away...but you do relax eventually and realize it will be okay..

xxoo

Angelia

Hope to see you around...full of normal pg questions and concerns..!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 3:33pm
Hi Sheryl,

I just wanted to say that I had my first appt yesterday and did ask for tests like the clotting disorders. My loss was very similar to yours (missed m/c) but my mother also lost a pregnancy at 6 months a long time ago, and there were some unknowns about that. My MIL also had many pregnancy losses and I want to be sure that there isn't some genetic predisposition. I think if you want to rule something out and ask for certain tests, that is certainly your call--that is what I'm doing. I just told my midwife I'd rather be a hypochondriac and be safe than be sorry. Just my personal belief. They may think I'm annoying there getting my b/w done each week for a while on HCG levels and probably another progesterone check--but that is our choice, especially given our history. Don't hesitate to ask for anything you feel is right for you.

Good luck with everything!

Kath

-----------------------------------