NO BABY, BUT THERE IS A HEARTRATE!!!!!!

iVillage Member
NO BABY, BUT THERE IS A HEARTRATE!!!!!!
Thu, 02-05-2004 - 8:14pm
AFTER A HARD MISCARRIAGE OR WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A MISCARRIAGE I FINALLY HAVE A HEART RATE OF 133, HOWEVER IT IS UNSURE OF HOW FAR ALONG I AM ALL ULTRASOUNS SAY 6WKS, BUT I HAVE BEEN 6WKS FOR A MONTH, AND ALSOONE OF MY DR. TOLS ME TUESDAY THAT THERE WAS NO BABY,INSIDE ME BY LOOKIN THRU ULTRASOUND AND WANTED TO GIVE ME CYTOTEC, I REFUSED. I WENT TO ANOTHER DR FOR A SECOND OPPION TODAY, AND GOSH BE GOLLY, THE WAS A HEARTRATE OF 133, AND THE BABY WAS MOVING, SO NOW I THINK WAS THE PREVIOUS TYMES GIVEN CYTOTEC REALLY WHAT I SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN OR WAS IT SOME DR MISTAKE THAT I LOST THE BABY?

i REALLY WORRY MY SELF THOUGH CAUSE ALL MY ULTRASOUNDS SAY 6WKS, WHEN AM SUPPOSE TO BE 9 WKS, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYONE WHO WENT THRU THIS OR COULD OFFER SOME ADVICE. BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS!!!!!

LOLA
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2004 - 7:57am
Hi, Lola,

I can't actually offer any input into your situation, because I'm not certain I understand it. I've never heard of them being able to find the heartbeat with a doppler but not on an u/s - is that what happened for you? It sounds like you've been through a very confusing roller coaster of emotions, and I hope that you're able to find the answers you're looking for.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted...

Kate

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-07-2004 - 3:03pm
I am not sure what it all means but I think it is a miracle. What do the Drs suggest you do next. keep us update.

Krista

Best of Luck I am thinking of you.

Krista and Gabriel

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-08-2004 - 11:07am
Lola,

What I think you are saying is that you were having a miscarriage or thought you were having a miscarriage and the doctor gave you the cytotec to help the process along, but after three weeks you were still pregnant. The doctor gave you a scan and saw no baby, but you then went to another doctor who was able to get a heart beat reading of 133.

From what you are saying your first doctor made a mistake in thinking that your pregnancy was not viable and gave you medication to help you abort the baby. The medication apparently did not do the trick because you now have a heart rate for the baby. Your baby may be measuring small for gestation because of all of the trauma, or it may not be growing at all despite the presence of a heart beat. Either way you need to go see another doctor unrelated to your present doctor. They can help you sort out what is going on and give you a better answer.

On a different note, sometimes doctors take it upon themselves to play God when it comes to pregnancy. My sister had a horrible experience and this seems to sound a lot like what you are going through. My sister has an IUD. She got pregnant while on the IUD and her doctor told her that birth defects similar to those of thalidomide users would probably be what her baby would have because of the medicine in her IUD. She immediately put my sister on medication to make her abort. She performed a blood test but told my sister it was best to start the medication right away. She did what her doctor told her and after a week of being on the medication she got the results of her blood test back which said no birth defects detectable from sample. This woman is a well respected ob/gyn and has many women under her care especially since she is the only female ob/gyn in our city, but she made an error in judgement and violated my sister's trust in her because of what she FELT was going to happen not what she KNEW!

I am thinking that maybe your doctor decided that your pregnancy may not have been viable and taken matters into his own hands, and now you are in the situation you are in. Please seek care with another doctor. Please let us know anything.

Heather 8/5/04