Concerned!!!

iVillage Member
Concerned!!!
Fri, 03-19-2004 - 10:28am
I am a new member. Just a concern I am having and wondering if anyone can offer some encouraging advice. I had a miscarriage in 2001(b/n my first and second child) and since then I have been terrified to be pregnant. The loss we experienced was really tough. Anyway, I did get pregnant again after that and had a wonderful baby girl in Nov 2002. A few days ago I had tested because I was a few days late and I had a positive pregnancy test. I have been a nervous wreck because I have not been experiencing any other s/s of pregnancy besides a missed period. My breasts are not tender, I don't feel like I have to urniate frequently, etc. I have been reading some posts about other women feeling all these early early signs and I feel no changes to my body yet. The thing that worries me the most is with my first miscarriage I never bled. I went back for my SECOND visit (the first visit the fetus looked good - heartbeat was strong)- which was around 12 weeks and they couldn't find a heartbeat. I remember feeling the same thing. I lost all the symptoms of pregnancy but didn't realize it until I had found out the baby was gone. SOOOO... my concern is how come i am not feeling any other signs; should i be concerned; i am around 5-6 weeks pregnant (if all is well). I spoke to the nurse at my OBGYN and she said not to worry but I am so concerned. She said bleeding can occur at any time so not to go by that. Any concerns or advice would be appreciated.
iVillage Member
In reply to: laurenmcmom
Fri, 03-19-2004 - 11:07am
You've come to the right place because we all understand the fear you're going through. We've all felt it! Not everyone gets pregnancy symptoms. Each pregnancy is different, so you really can't (as tempting as it is) compare one pregnancy to another. My first pregnancy I felt sick to my stomach, though I never puked, and had very swollen breasts. I lost that baby 6 weeks into my pregnancy. This pregnancy I haven't felt sick at all, and my first sign was I had to pee constantly (I actually thought I had a UTI!). SInce the pregnancy has progressed (I'm 13 weeks right now) I've gotten more symptoms, like the swollen breasts, and I'm starting to show, but I haven't gotten most of the "typical" pregnancy symptoms.

I'm not going to tell you not to worry because I would be a total hypocrite for saying that, but keep in mind that not everyone has symptoms every pregnancy. Besides, it doens't sound like the same thing you experienced with your miscarriage. You said that you lost pregnancy symptoms. It doesn't sound like you've actually lost any symptoms this time -- you just doen't have any. Sometimes it takes awhile to get any symptoms. You'll be trucking along right as rain and then you'll feel like puking your guts out. Make a doctors appointment and see if they can do an early ultrasound, then wait and see if you get any symptoms. You may be in the lucky minority that feels totally fine their whole pregnancy.

Good luck!

Julie

DH Alex

~i~ 7/7/03

Nathan (7 mos adopted f/Russia 2/12/04)

EDD 9/23/04

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2004 - 11:40am

Welcome to the board and Congrats on your PG.

Krista - Mommy to Gabriel (June 10, 2004)

Proud to be CL of Pregnant after a loss board 

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2004 - 11:46am

hello!! I am now 3 1/2 months pregnant...after 2 miscarriages!! talking about a scarey time!! I think the most scarey part about it is that my symptoms didnt kick in right away!! NONE OF THEM!! I was freaking out...then they gradually started to and oh man..i almost wished they didn't!! lol so just liike the other lady i'm not saying don't worry!! but you are still so early in your pregnancy that it could take a little more time for them to kick in!! since you do have a history of miscarriages your doctor will probably have you have an ultrasound really soon!! and that will help put your mind at ease for a little while!! I hope this helps a little bit!! and good luck with this pregnancy!!

~Shae~

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket  

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2004 - 2:36pm
Hi and welcome to the board! This is a great place to share your concerns with women who know where you're coming from.

It's starting to sound like a broken record, but it is true that pregancies can be different. My first two pregnancies (the second ended in a missed m/c at 16 weeks) I had the "normal" symptoms -- sore (and Big!) bbs, m/s, etc. This time around, I haven't had any symptoms except for the BFP! Like you, I was really worried that something was wrong (I just don't "feel" pg), but I did have a good ultrasound when I was 7 wks and we saw a heartbeat and normal development.

Just another anectdote: my SIL never had m/s when she was pg with either of her two kids, both of whom are completely perfect and adorable.

I'm not going to tell you not to worry (wouldn't that be hypocritcal of me! lol!), but hopefully your next Dr appointment isn't too far away and you'll be able to get assurances then. If you are really stressed out, maybe you could talk to your Dr or a nurse. My Dr has been fabulous (she gave me an extra ultrasound and didn't charge my insurance co. 'cause she knew that they wouldn't have covered it so early...) and very sympathetic since I've been such a nutcase during this pregnancy.

Stay strong -- we're here for you and sending you SBVs!!

Marna

DS 6/25/02

^i^ 12/5/03

EDD 10/17/04

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2004 - 1:57am
Thank you all so much for your support. I made my appt for April 5th (my doc is away next week). I will let you all know how it goes. Again I really appreciate your thoughts and replies.

Lauren's Mom

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2004 - 4:05pm
Hi,

I have heard lots of friends and family say each of their pregnancies was different. My Aunt was only sick with 1 out of 5 pregnancies ... she says she couldn't have gone through it "5" times if she had nausea and sore boobs each time. : ) All of us who are now far along in our pregnancies worried just as much as you at your stage. I worried every time I went to the bathroom up until the end of my 2nd trimester! You are pregnant! What a wonderful thing! And you proved to yourself that you can have a healthy child despite any problems you've encountered in the past. At the early stage you are at, it's really up to your body and the one above to take care of things. In the meantime, I would concentrate on the wonderful little girl you have "right now" and try not to worry so much about your current pregnancy. I can only say that because I've already been through "2" m/c's and would give anything to already have one healthy child in our lives at 35 years of age. Good luck and best wishes! Sandy : )