Concern

iVillage Member
Concern
Tue, 05-04-2004 - 12:10pm
I have a quick question....I had my thirteen week appointment yesterday and they did a pap smear and some other tests in that area. Today I am having cramping and a little bleeding, it's not a lot, actually I probably wouldn't even notice it if I wasn't obsessive right now about this. Is it normal to have some bleeding and cramping after an exam?
iVillage Member
In reply to: rmeapme
Tue, 05-04-2004 - 12:24pm
I would say it's probably no big deal. I know that sex can sometimes break little tiny vessels on your cervix and cause minor bleeding that is harmless, and I would bet a Pap smear could do the same thing, cause they rub that thing on your cervix. Just in case, though, I think you should probably call your doctor's office and ask. It can't hurt.

Good luck! I'll send you some positive thoughts.

Llyra

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2004 - 3:27pm
Hi there -

I also had some very light spotting after two of my internal exams early on in pregnancy, but I don't know if it's normal. It was never bright red so I didn't worry about it and am still okay. If you are worried about it, make a quick call to your ob's office - that is what they are there for!

Beth

~i~ 10/17/03

edd 8/30/04 (b/g twins!)

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2004 - 7:34pm
I was specifically told at my last pap smear to expect some light spotting and cramping the day after the exam. If sex can irritate the cervix, then an internal exam during which they specifically scrape out some cervical cells is definitely going to do it! Not everyone has spotting or bleeding, but it is very common. I was told to call if the bleeding was heavy, bright red, or lasted more than a day, or if cramping became sharp or intense.

HTH,

Kate