Hi - New and Doppler Question

iVillage Member
Hi - New and Doppler Question
Mon, 05-10-2004 - 1:21pm
Hi all. I'm 8 wks along after a stillborn at 34 wks in July. My first appt is next week where I'll have an u/s, but I noticed several moms-to-be on this board mentioned having a doppler at home to listen to the heartbeat. This might help ease some worries for me -- where do you rent/buy one? Are they reliable? Any certain types of equipment better than others?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2004 - 2:02pm

Hi there and welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2004 - 3:05pm

Hi and welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2004 - 3:09pm
Congrats on your recent pregnancy! Good luck with your u/s. Hopefully all is well with your little peanut.

I rented a doppler from heartbeatsathome.com. It's $24.00/month and had free shipping to and from. My SIL had gotten one from there and liked it, so I went with her recommendation. I waited until 11 weeks to rent one (after my personal milestone) and was able to find it the same night I received it. A few women here have been able to find the HB at around 9 or 9 1/2 weeks.

I still use mine every few days or so because my placenta is toward the front and it blocks a lot of DS's kicks so I don't feel him move as often as I did DS #1. I'll probably continue using it until I can feel him move 2-3 times a day.

Welcome to the board!

Lynn

DS #2 edd 9/19

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2004 - 4:41pm
I just ordered a doppler last week from babybeat.com. They shipped fast and free. The doppler is $30/month (I got the standard model with "advanced technology") and came with a new battery and ultrasound gel. It also came with a CD with directions and example sounds to help you distinguish between your own hb and the baby's (very helpful).

I was 10w3d when I first tried it.... it took a little while to find, but the CD helped a lot. Now that I found it, I think it will be easier to find again.

It was very reassuring and I highly recommend it. I waited until 10 weeks to order it so I'd have a better chance of hearing the hb (8 weeks might be a bit early).

Both Sarah (given2fly) and I have posts down in the milestones section describing our doppler experience. Also, if you do a search, many women here have given tips on using the doppler.

Sue

12/1

Image hosted by Photobucket.com