Ok, will I ever need maternity clothes?!

iVillage Member
Ok, will I ever need maternity clothes?!
Thu, 06-24-2004 - 8:00pm
So, Im just about 16 weeks and I look just like I did 16 weeks ago!!!!! I told my professor yesterday " hey I really need to get thru this class ok b/c im having a baby in december..." So he looks at my stomache and says "no way..." so now he proably thinks that its some excuse to not do my work. Which it wasnt, I just want my degree before chunky comes out so I can be at home with him, so if I needed some extra help ( Im taking 3rd level spanisha nd have NEVER taken spanish before - dont askhow that happened) would he be willing. Dont get me wrong, I know i should enjoy my skinny time but jeez.... my husband looks at me like " are you ever gonna show people that were having a baby?" OY!!!

And there are all these cute maternity clothes...I WANT THEM ALL! But i dont need them, and I dont think I will go to bed tonight not needing them and wake up tomarrow needing them so buying them is a waste of $.

I mean, Im not a stick, Im thicker, but im not fat either so I thought something would show by now. My sister was 60 lbs overweight when she got pregnant and didnt show for 7 months!!!

So yeah, I hope I havent offended anyone and I know that I should be grateful for not " showing" but Im the same person that wanted morning sickness. I guess Im just one crazy lady...

PS: when do they usually do the next US? the last one I had was at 13 weeks.... I hear the HB every day thanks to a home doppler but getting to see little chunky is the best...

All the best to y'all,

Cassie
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2004 - 6:50am
Don't fret dear, you'll show soon. I totally understand the desire and almost need to be showing. I bet you will pop in the next week or 2. I popped at about 17 weeks and now people are actually noticing I am preg without me telling them, which I love. It will happen to you too, just wait and see.

I would never tell you to enjoy it now, b/c I was the same way and desperately wanted to be showing. I am still not happy that I am not big enough and I still think I look more fat than pregnant, but I guess that is my body type. Even though people have noticed, they don't think I am as far along as I look (almost 19 weeks).

Are you still wearing your regular pants? You can try the low rise maternity pants. They kind of push everything up in one place and make your belly look bigger.

Good luck and I know you will see that belly soon.

Lisa

18w4d

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2004 - 11:22am
I'm still barely showing but having to wear maternity clothes.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2004 - 11:39am
Is this your first baby? I think with my first baby I didn't need true maternity clothes until about 7 months! I made do with stretch pants or sweats. THIS TIME, however, I've already outgrown all of my pants including the sweats and I'm only 12 weeks! LOL! And I know for a fact there's only one baby in there.

Relax and enjoy your pg. You will be huge before you know it. And with hugeness comes back pain. Tell the professor you'll be happy to pee on a stick for him if he doesn't believe you! ;)

In my normal pgs, they only did one u/s at 20 weeks but with this one they've already done two. I think it just depends on your doctor. You could always request one and see what they say (your insurance may not cover it).

HTH, good luck to you,

Dawn

EDD 1/2/05
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2004 - 12:46pm
On me, you couldn't see a thing until at least 22 weeks, and it was only around 26 that I REALLY started to show. I grew out of my regular pants around 19 weeks, but I couldn't really fill the maternity pants until just this last week (going on 30 weeks). It's really individual, when you start to "show."

Llyra

EDD 9-7-04

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2004 - 1:00pm
Cassie,

With my first, I didn't get ANY kind of bump until I was around 20-22 weeks. I was fairly thin to begin with and then lost 8 lbs in the first trimester. I wanted to wear maternity clothes too, but they were way too huge on me. I didn't really "pop" until around 26-28 weeks or so. This is my second and I feel SO much bigger than I was with DS #1. With your first, your stomach muscles still are fighting to stay in their usual shape. With your second, they just "give up" since they've already been stretched out before.

One of my SILs is overweight (not too huge, but not a size 10 either), she had her son last October 2nd. We were all at a pool party at the end of August and she looked exactly the same as she always did. She gained only about 10 lbs for the whole pregnancy. She didn't really look pregnant until that last month of pregnancy.

Oh yeah, about the u/s. They'll most likely do one more around 18-20 weeks to do measurements (and find out gender if you want).

HUGS!

Lynn

DS #2 edd 9/19

Edited 6/25/2004 1:02 pm ET ET by lynn_ct

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2004 - 1:38pm

Cassie,

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2004 - 7:26pm
Hi Cassie.

I know what you mean about wanting to be sick and wanting to show. I'm 4 months and still throwing up every morning, and not complaining!

I literally started showing around 8 weeks, I don't know why. Everyone is so different. But around 16 weeks your uterus really starts stretching, and then it pops out even more, so hopefully you'll show soon!

-Jill

Jill and Grace
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2004 - 5:58pm
I didn't start to look pregnant until the third trimester! Now at 31 weeks, I'm finally showing and people are starting to notice. I'm petite and slender, but not thin by any means. Sometimes it just takes awhile... As for shopping, wait to do it until you need it. Since you're due in the winter, I'd wait until the fall/winter clothes start to come out, otherwise you'll be outgrowing them in the last month or two. Lots of people are posting on my due date board about outgrowing their clothes, so wait as long as you can...I know it's hard when you're excited!

Mid-term U/S's are usually done between 18-24 weeks, so ask your doctor on your next visit. :)

~Shannon

EDD 08/31/04