HCG still in system, or pregnant again??

iVillage Member
HCG still in system, or pregnant again??
Sat, 07-10-2004 - 12:12am
I had a miscarriage on May 31, and was only 8 weeks along. I took a pregnancy test today (July 9) and it was positive. Am I really pregnant again, or could it be that the HCG is still present in my system??
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2004 - 12:24am
It's really hard to say at this point.

Did you have a D&C or m/c naturally? Usually if you had a D&C the HCGs will disappear w/in a week or so. I say usually because some small piece of tissue could be left behind & slow the process down. My friend had a D&C & 2 months later she still had not seen AF. Her doc placed a scope inside & found a tiny piece of tissue, removed it & she was pg w/in a couple of months.

I mc'd naturally. I passed a 10w sac, but it appeared there was still a 6w collapsed sac left inside. It took 3 mos for my levels to drop.

Have you seen AF yet? Not the old, brown goopy stuff, but the bright red, normal AF? If you have, I would bet this is new.

Call your OB. You can get two blood tests about 3 days apart. If the HCGs are rising rather than falling than you're most likely pg. Your OB may wan to send you in for an u/s to rule out molar pg if they are rising - but molar pg's are very rare.

GOOD LUCK!

Bonnie (18w6d)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2004 - 5:41pm
I don't know what "AF" means. But I'll tell you what happened. I had a natural complete miscarriage. I had an ultrasound done to see if anything was left in there, and there was nothing. No tissue or anything. About the brown or red stuff, I had bled and passed all the tissue and everything, and it took about a week to pass it all. that was about June 7th or 8th when I stopped passing anything. I haven't had my period since, and I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it was positive. Does this help explain my situation at all? A reply would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2004 - 11:34pm
AF = Aunt Flo

It is possible to O before your 1st AF (period) and it is very possible this is a new pregnancy. I do know when I had my u/s my OB did not think we would need to take weekly blood tests because what I had described to her was the 10w sac, exactly what we had expected. What we didn't expect, even though deep down I knew I was pg with twins, was the remaining 6w sac. So I had to get the weekly blood draws.

Therefore, I am going to assume if the u/s did not show any tissue then your mc was complete & the HCG level should drop very quickly.

The timing does sound right for a new pg as well. But, as I said, my friend had a TINY piece of tissue & it messed things up. It was so small the scope had to be inserted in order to find it. (i.e. an u/s wouldn't pick it up)

So the only way to really know if it's old or new is to call your OB & get the blood tests to see if they are rising or falling.

Wishing you the best!

Bonnie (19w)

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2004 - 2:52pm
Just to chime in with Bonnie, if your miscarriage was complete and uncomplicated, then it is quite possible that you're pg again. I had a m/c in the fall of 2003 - at 10w I had an u/s and found out that the fetus had stopped developing at 6w, and I waited another 3 weeks to see if things would happen naturally before I gave in and had a d&c. That was on 10/21/03, no complications, I stopped bleeding within three or four days. At the time, my OB told me to wait at least 4 weeks before having sex again, which we did.

Six weeks after the d&c I still hadn't gotten a period and we had a hotel room alone - our 4-year-old DD stayed with my in-laws for the Thanksgiving weekend... and a few weeks later, just because I felt odd again, I took a home pregnancy test, and sure enough, positive!

This pregnancy was fairly complicated in the first trimester, I had a few episodes of heavy bleeding. I was told that it *might* be due to not having gotten a period between the d&c and getting pregnant again, but it also might just be bad luck. They couldn't say for sure why the bleeding happened, and in any case I'm now at 34 weeks and things are looking just fine.

So it can happen, I'm proof! But I would definitely suggest that you call your OB and set up appt's to get blood drawn twice this week, to track whether your hCG level is rising and by how much. If you are pregnant again, first of all congratulations, and secondly be prepared for at least 1-2 extra ultrasounds in the first trimester to help them accurately date the pregnancy - without a "last menstrual period" date to rely on, it's a bit more of a challenge to come up with a due date.

Good luck!

Kate

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2004 - 9:33pm
Thank you guys so much for your help. I am going to my OB tomorrow, to figure this out. But judging by what you all have said, I think I've figured it out already. Haha! But thanks again everyone! You've taken a HEAVY load off my shoulders!
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2004 - 2:29pm
For anyone who's been reading this, I got the HcG tests done, and I'm at 20,000+ right now. So needless to say, I am pregnant. I go in for a u/s on friday to see how far along I am. So thanks you all!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2004 - 6:13pm
CONGRATS!!!!

I was at 13,000 at 22dpo & that was considered high ... so I bet you are nearing the end of the 2nd month (of the 10 month pg calendar)!

CONGRATS!

SBVs

Bonnie (20w2d)

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2004 - 10:25am
Congratulations!!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2004 - 3:19am
Hi,

I had a miscarriage on may 14th, on july 2nd i had to go to the er for a infection after dental work, and by my suprise he told me i was pregnant, so if i were you i would assume yes you are pregnat again, it didnt take long for me to know i really was due to severe morning sickness,are you sick at all? well good luck.... i see the Dr. aug 9th cant wait!!! keep us posted