Is this name too difficult?

iVillage Member
Is this name too difficult?
Sat, 08-07-2004 - 3:24pm
Aislinn Niamh McCracken

Aislinn : A Vision or A Dream

Aisling is the name given to a popular poetic genre from the 17th and 18th centuries in which Ireland is personified as a beautiful woman in peril. A very popular name in Ireland now.

Niamh : Radiance, Lustre, Brightness

The daughter of the sea god Manannan she was known as "Niamh of the Golden Hair," a beautiful princess riding on a white horse. She fell in love with Fionn's son Oisin and lived with him in Tir-na-nOg ("Land of the Young") where 300 years passed in what seemed like three weeks. In 2003 it was the eleventh most popular baby girl's name in Ireland.

BROTHER'S NAME: Liam Connor McCracken

I realize the middle name she will need to pronounce for people, but rarely does anybody know your middle name unless you offer it. Yet, I've noticed Liam became very popular in Ireland & a few years later it started to pick up in the USA. When my ds was first born I would have to repeat his name a few times to people, now people respond by saying their grandson or nephew's name is Liam. With both Aislinn & Niamh both being popular there now I would not be surprised in a few years it will better known in the US too.

Does it sound feminine?

Is is easy or hard to roll off of the tongue?

What type of nn's do you come up with?

Is it too close to Ashley, which was the 8th most popular girl name in the USA last year?

TIA!

Bonnie

Liam 3/26/02

~ii~ 10/11/03

Baby Girl EDD 12/5/04

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2004 - 8:59am
Hey Bonnie-

I would go with what ever you like. The spelling for her first name through me off a little and didn't have any clue how to pronounce the middle name. I do like different spellings though, then again i don't know how another spelling would be anyway...lol at first until i saw your pronounciation i thought it was ACELYNN... It is early here though so that could explain it.

I do like the name, its different. Good luck and let me know what you come up with.

Holly

DS 12.12.01

~i~ 8.30.03

EDD 10.3.04

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2004 - 9:24am

Bonnie,

I love the name!

Eva

Lucia (5/10/04) & Tique

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 11:46am
Hi Bonnie,

I think it's beautiful.

Does it sound feminine?

YES

Is is easy or hard to roll off of the tongue?

easy, although the middle name is harder

What type of nn's do you come up with?

I tend to call my friends shortened versions of their real name, Ry for Ryan, Kel for Kelly, etc... so I would probably call her Ash.

Is it too close to Ashley, which was the 8th most popular girl name in the USA last year?

Well, I don't think she will have 10 other Aislinns in her class, but it is sort of close. People may assume her name is Ashley until she corrects them. I also think she may have to pronounce it for people (teachers, etc) the first time. (I wouldn't have known without your hint).

It's hard to predict tho, when I named my son Gavin, one of the reasons I picked it was b/c I had never met another Gavin (and I worked at a daycare center so I'd heard a lot of names.) Now it's gaining huge popularity. I think it's like #11 or something, when it wasn't even in the top 100 a few years ago.

So go with your heart, I think it's a great name and I think she will like it even if it is minorly inconvenient.

HTH,

Dawn

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 11:53am
Hi Bonnie, living just across the water from Ireland, I know both these names. I love Niamh, It's becoming increasingly common over here in England too i believe. I really like it and have been considering it for my next daughter!!

I say go with it. The whole name is lovely, I love it.

Jo-UK

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 1:52pm
Thanks all!!!

The more days that pass with the name on top of my mind the better I like it. I wanted something that was very feminine, cutsie for childhood & pretty into adulthood & I think it works.

Even though the name comes from Aislinge & was actually a male name to begin with. But its taken a much stronger female role over the years.

Let's give dh a few more days, but this is the first time he's really agreed to anything other than Heather Ann (which he's had before I met him & he already got to use HIS choice of name with our first).

My mom is going to be hard to convince though. As a school teacher she HATES anything that is not simple to pronounce at first sight. Then I do need to think more about her needing to spell it for everyone. I think pronouncing it will only take once & people will remember, but spelling it will need to become a habit.

THANKS AGAIN!

Bonnie (23w2d)

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 3:57pm
I was conserned about my mother liking our names too but i finally decided if she doesn't like it oh well...=) Then again easier said then done right..hehehe. It is a very beautiful name though... thought i would add more of my 2 cents...lol. My hardest thing was getting DH to like a name, and if you got that down already time to start calling her Aislin instead of "the baby".

Holly

DS 12.12.01

~i~ 8.30.03

EDD 10.3.04
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 5:59pm
Well, I think they are beautiful! I love Celtic, and mythic, names.

Although, when I first read Aislinn, I pronounced it Ay-linn, and of course Niamh was Nee-ahm. Do you live in Ireland, or the US? If you are in Ireland, I see no concerns about spelling or mispronounciation since they are such popular names. Are you concerned about people mispronouncing the name? I know some kids in my schools would get teased if the teacher mispronounced a name, but usually if they mispronounced it into something that rhymed with something you could tease a kid about. Kids! If you are concerned, maybe spell it more phoneticly, like Ashlynn Neeyiv. I have heard Aislinn/Ashlynn around a few times, but I don't know how they spelled it (I'm in Nevada USA).

I know several young Liams, in the US and in Tasmania! They are all wonderful boys, and I love that name too.

Katherine (mommy to Natassia Skye and Anthea Selene - see, I'm no stranger to different spellings and unusual names, hee hee) with "Tomato" edd 2-2-05

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 6:23pm
Katherine,

Yes, I'm in the USA (Oregon). If I were in Ireland there would be no concern over the names as they are both very popular there. I found a PDF file to what I think is their equivilant to our social security list of most popular names.

Although, Aislinn is not the original spelling of the name. The original spelling is Aislinge & was a male name. Over time it changed to Ailsing & became female. Aisling is the in the top 100 names in Ireland now, but Aislinn is still fairly popular, just not in the top 100.

As for her middle name, teachers don't normally have or call out middle names, so I figured it could be more personal & it's up to her (and us) as to who knows it. I just wondered if everyone thought they went well together. My mom was proud of my full name so when she was in a loving mood she would call me Bonnie Jean. Therefore I do the same with my son, when I'm happy with him I call him Liam Connor. So I want something I can do that with my dd too. My only concern are the two n's together.

I'll keep looking, but even dh is saying this is really growing on him.

Bonnie

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2004 - 10:05am
Bonnie,

Don't take this the wrong way, but give the poor kid a break! She will have to deal with the spelling of her name her whole life, and people will butcher it every step of the way. It does sound beautiful, and I am all for something original, but come on!

You asked for our opinions, so I gave mine!

Kori