baby purchases?

iVillage Member
baby purchases?
Wed, 08-11-2004 - 3:07pm
Just wondering who has started buying things for the baby? If you haven't when do you think you'll start? I have been nervous to even buy stuff for myself-but finally had to break down & buy some new clothes. My mom went to a neighbors garage sale & bought some uni-sex things (and the baby's first Denver Broncos outfit-go Broncos!) But I haven't even let myself go look at baby things yet. I was thinking that it would be good to hit a few garage sales at the end of the summer since there won't be any going on in January in Montana! :) But still kinda nervous to do that too. Just wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

-Laura

#1 EDD 2/6

iVillage Member
In reply to: ruke96
Wed, 08-11-2004 - 3:38pm
Laura-

I too was very nervous to buy anything at all. I would look at everything but never bought anything. It wasn't until my 21 weeks ultrasound did I actually decide to buy anything. That very day when we found out that we were having a little girl and that she was perfect we went crazy. We went out and bought her a bunch of outfits, built her build a bears, bought all of her bedding and even got her stroller. We were out of control but so happy. I still am nervous, but I figure that it has to get done at some point and I don't want to wait to the last minute to do everything. We are now in the process of decorating her room, which is so much fun.

So what I have to tell you is that you need to get things when you feel ready to do so. We all worry about our babies, but at some point we need to be excited about it as well.

Good luck to you and happy shopping!

Jen

edd 11/26/04

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2004 - 4:13pm
I was almost 8 months along before I could overcome my fears enough to buy anything. I kept setting goals: once I hear the heartbeat, once I have my ultrasound, once I feel the baby move, etc. I have had a really complicated pregnancy, with a lot of "scares" so I kept putting off buying stuff because it would have been too heartbreaking to have to take it all back.

My mom did buy me a crib and a carseat somewhere around 5 months, but I only starting buying stuff a few weeks ago.

If you have a lot of family or friends who might buy you stuff or have a shower for you, you might want to put off buying a lot, especially clothes. Sometimes the "nesting" urge is too big to resist, though!

I had a friend who put off EVERYTHING until the last minute, including buying a crib and carseat, and baby wound up coming five weeks early, perfectly healthy and ready to come home, and they had NOTHING, and we all had to pitch in and help get things ready all in a matter of a day and a half.

So there is such a thing as waiting too long!!! LOL

Llyra

36 weeks, 2 days

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2004 - 1:08am
I have a 2 year old so really I don't need to buy too much. With that pg. I got the crib and stroller near the start of my 3rd trimester but had been shopping for awhile. For clothes and such, we got a lot as gifts and hand me downs. A month before my DS was born (June) we hit some garage sales and loaded up on unisex sleepers etc. My mom wants to start buying some warmer sleepers etc from the garage sales (same reason as you - not many here in the winter).

Have fun shopping!!

Susan

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2004 - 9:56am

Hi there,

well, I'm like Susan.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2004 - 3:31pm
Laura,

I am 21 weeks and I haven't bought anything yet, but my dh and my mom have. I actually got a crib, cradle and changing table handed down to me, so we have that, but it's not in the room yet. I think once I am 6 months, I may start to decorate.

Whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do. I also had a few scares earlier on, so I am extra nervous about it.

Amy

EDD 12/19

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 4:30pm

Hi all,

I'm going on 13 wks tomorrow (is that considered beg. of 2nd trimester---who knows?). I want to buy stuff for the baby SOOOOOOOO bad (I have NOTHING anymore--my youngest

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2004 - 5:44pm
We've been (by we I mean mom and me) buying little things: funny or cute bibs, hats, booties, mittens, a bear, a blanket. Recently my dad started buying boooks and toys. I feel the need to start on the big purchases, because I don't want to leave everything until last minute and spend all that money at Christmas time. So, I'm going crib shopping with my mom tomorrow. Everything I see has faults and I'm just not happy with the cribs on the market. *sigh*

We're going to start on the room soon. We're going to keep it painted the way it is (yellow and blue), but move out the guest room stuff and start bringing in baby stuff!

Kether

Kether Married to Dave (12-6-2003) Mom to Liam (1-23-2005)